Welcome to Mingalapar Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Are Yangon taxi drivers more honest ?

- - - - - transport taxi hiring Yangon

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Max

Max

• Administrators
  • 2,436 posts
  • LocationBangkok

Hello to all Mingalagyis,

I wasn't in Myanmar for 2 months and coming back two weeks ago, I noticed something quite surprising. Actually t seems that hiring taxis is now cheaper than 2 months ago or that taxi drivers are not willing to rip you off by asking incredibly high prices for the ride. Did Yangon taxi drivers became more honest all of a sudden ?

Indeed, for the last two weeks I have been using taxis quite a lot and it seemed that most of the taxi drivers were asking for fair prices or prices just above the fair one. 

During the beginning of the rainy season when I was in Yangon, even when it was not raining at all, taxi drivers were asking up to 10000 Kyats for downtown to airport ride, or sometimes 2000 or more for a 10 minutes ride within downtown Yangon.

But this time, most of the time I was asking for a ride within Yangon, I got the "minimum" price of 1500 Kyats and for a ride to the airport right away I was told 6000 Kyats or 7000 Kyats.

So did this phenomenon only happened to me, or did any other people felt the same recently ?

If so, would anybody know the reasons ? Did the government put pressure on the taxi drivers and taxi companies not to try to rip off the foreigners anymore ? 

Looking forward for your reactions.

Cheers,

Max

teton

teton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationYangon

Hi Max,

Nice to meet you in person.

I think its still the same. There are taxi driver that ask more and other that ask for fair(but mostly not) :(. With the taxi fare to/from airport, they assume that the passenger already know the fare because it's been posted in the airport.

But I haven't heard any dishonesty of the driver if somebody left something in there car. If there is a way that they can return it, they will do it ;) . salute to that.

For me, I already familiar on the fare for my destination so I can bargain for it, or else find another taxi.

Regards,

Teton 

Max

Max

• Administrators
  • 2,436 posts
  • LocationBangkok

Hey Teton,

That was nice to meet you as well, and thank you for the photography lesson hahaha :). I haven't checked the pictures yet...

Maybe you are right, but I start to know more or less the prices to the places I want to go and really this time I felt that the prices announced by the taxi drivers this time were better than two months ago, not all of them of course but in average I had fairer prices. 

I don't know, maybe I was just luckier :).

Cheers,

Max

aster

aster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationYangon

Max, 

I think you were just luckier or your negotiation skill is improved!!! The taxi drivers are more or less the same as previous days. Let's see you can get the fair prices in next time. :)

Cheers!!! 

Max

Max

• Administrators
  • 2,436 posts
  • LocationBangkok

Hey Aster,

Haha, yeah negotiation skills I'm not sure that they improved, so I definitely got luckier then :)

Yes we'll see, maybe I can get even cheaper prices without even negotiating next time !!

:D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: transport, taxi, hiring, Yangon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users