Welcome to Mingalapar Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Guide in Bagan, necessary?

guide bagan

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

vegeta

vegeta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Good morning!

I'm wondering if hiring a guide in Bagan is really necessary or not?

Do you think to travel and just get the explanation from my lonely planet is enough?

I also want to ask if there are signs inside each temple with an explanation in English about it.

Last but not least, can anyone reply to this thread of me http://mingalapar.co...mber/#entry6181 I was still not able to find the answer.

Thank you to all the helpful members!

Billy the kid

Billy the kid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Hi Vegeta, seems we have a lot of TV characters recently on the forum :).

Yeah, Just as I mentioned in a post I just replied to, have a LP guide is not always that useful and especially with Myanmar, the current one is out of date, but for the historical and cultural explanations are of course still correct.

I can't tell you that hiring a guide is a must, you can also enjoy the beauties of Bagan without anyone and just reading a bit through your book. But I think if you want to understand everything that the site has to offer and discover places or art work that you would not see if not shown by an experienced person, it is for sure better to hire a guide.

Going to Bagan, Angkor Wat or sites like Borobudur is not like going to the beach, where you can just enjoy the nice landscape and take a bath, if you want to get it all and take advantage of your maybe once in a lifetime trip to Myanmar, you better hire a guide. 

As another member mentioned about doing the sunset or sunrise in a hot air balloon in Bagan, you may have one opportunity to do it, so even if it cost a bit more, I think you should do it.

This is only my opinion and advice, after you shall do whatever pleases you. For my personal experience, I took a guide the first time I went there and of course I don't remember everything that was said, but I definitely don't regret taking one.

Enjoy the 2000 pagoda's ;)

TS33

TS33

VIP Member

• Administrators
  • 2,125 posts
  • LocationBangkok

I don't think a guide is necessary in Bagan, you are able to find the historical information about the main temple in any guide.

Plus many sellers will be more than happy to guide in the temple in exchange of a small tips.

Finally, I think the best way to visit Bagan is by bike and I don't think any guide will follow you lol :P

A journey of thousand miles begins with a single step!

vegeta

vegeta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi TS33 and Bill the kid, thank you for your useful contribution.

I would love to ride bike but I have a major problem on my knee so I don't think I will be able to do that.

I was actually thinking to hire a horse cart, will a guide accept to go with me?

Krisprolls

Krisprolls

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationStockholm-Bangkok

Hi Vegeta, 

As TS33 said, by bicycle is the best way to visist Bagan, due to your knees problem, indeed the alternative would be to hire a horse cart, but you will lose time, it is not that fast. I think if as long as you paid, the guide will accept to join you in the horse cart.

I also saw some mini-van going from pagoda to pagoda, with a guide and tourists. 

So if you are willing to pay for the service of a guide, do it, if not a good book and the sellers around the pagodas will be enough the get the important information about the pagodas.

Have a good trip there !

Max

Max

• Administrators
  • 2,436 posts
  • LocationBangkok

I think the horse cart is also a nice solution, took it once and it was worth doing. You can't go as fast and wherever you want as you would do with a bike, but it's much less tiring and more authentic way...

However I would not like to use the mini-van or taxis that are going around Bagan, it is nice with air con and comfort of your seats, but I think you don't get the same feeling and atmosphere if you do if by car, take the chance to explore Bagan in a more authentic or natural way while you still can, the guide will follow you (not if you go for the bike tour though  :P )

The guide can be interesting to discover hidden places and have thorough explanations on Bagan's history, but it is not a must. A well written travel guide can be useful and you don't have to listen to explanations the whole day, it gets you tired at some point and you want to enjoy the moment in peace :).

Maybe event the horse cart driver could tell you a few stories if he speaks English.

Enjoy the visit,

Cheers,

Max

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: guide, bagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users