Welcome to Mingalapar Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Myanmar reading, Zawgyi Versus Unicode font

- - - - - Burmese character alphabet writing reading

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Max

Max

• Administrators
  • 2,436 posts
  • LocationBangkok

Good morning Mingalagyis,

For the purpose of a new website for foreigners who would be willing to learn Burmese, I would need a few advices from you.

Some parts of the website would be using Burmese fonts, and I don't know actually if I should choose to use Zawgyi or Unicode. 

From my understanding, Zawgyi is widely used by Myanmar people and it is the most recognized font in Myanmar, however, if I use this one to type texts in Burmese on the website, I am worry that people who are not familiar to Myanmar fonts will have problems reading. 

Indeed, when I read Burmese on the forum, or on some other websites, I cannot see all of the alphabet, certain characters will appear as squares or other forms, which are not readable. So I am wondering if it is because Zawgyi is used and I don't have it installed on my computer?

Then, if it is Zawgyi, what will happen to when Unicode is used? Will I be able to read without having some characters changed into squares. Or do I also need to install some kind of software for Unicode Myanmar font?

So the question to sum up would be: Is it better to use Zawgyi or Unicode Myanmar font when writing a website, for foreigners to be able to read fully what is written in Myanmar alphabet?

I'll appreciate all feedbacks on that matter,

Thanks you,

Cheers,

Max

kno

kno

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Most sites (e.g., including SQUAR or Rocket Internet's family of websites) use Zawgyi, because that's what most people are familiar with and have installed on their devices. The transition to Unicode will take quite a bit of time. If you need a hosted font solution, use saturngod's at http://mmwebfonts.comquas.com.

So I am wondering if it is because Zawgyi is used and I don't have it installed on my computer?

Sounds like you have neither Zawgyi nor a Unicode font, such as Myanmar3, installed. If you have either one installed, the resulting text will still render Burmese characters for text written in the other font - it's just going to be a bit jumbled.  

So the question to sum up would be: Is it better to use Zawgyi or Unicode Myanmar font when writing a website, for foreigners to be able to read fully what is written in Myanmar alphabet?

Since your site is aimed at foreigners, it is debatable whether you should use one or the other font. But if you want to play it safe, go with Zawgyi. 

Max

Max

• Administrators
  • 2,436 posts
  • LocationBangkok

Hi Kno,

Thanks for your information, really useful.

Actually what I want to have is a site in which foreigners without any specific installation made on their computers (software, fonts...) could read Burmese right away, without having part of the text unreadable, and I wanted to know whether it was possible with either Zawgyi or Unicode font, but maybe it is just impossible, and people need to do prior installation. But my guess is there should be one.

On my computer for example, I could read Thai characters or Chinese ones without any problem and I didn't change anything to be able to read these fonts, it is probably just installed on my computer.

However, when it comes to Burmese, I can read properly sometimes but some other times part of the text is replaced by squares.

If I read on mizzimaburmese.com for example, I can read everything perfectly (same on several other websites), but when I read here on the forum part of the text is corrupted and it's even worse when use text files, I can't read anything. 

So how does Mizzima and other website do, to have a text which displays properly for me. Did they use a Unicode font and anybody having Zawgyi will not be able to read, or are they using Zawgyi (in that case I could read Zawgyi font, which I doubt), or are they using other ways.

I'm quite confused with all these Burmese fonts, could you help me please? 

Thanks a lot,

Max

kno

kno

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

I suppose they are using CSS embedded fonts. That way, the font is downloaded along with the website from the server or from a third-party host. That's what the link is about I posted above. Unfortunately, you're using a somewhat obscure software, which I have never heard of before. You should consider migrating to phpBB or something that's more widely used. Those will usually already have built-in solutions for such problems or else, you can get 3-party plugins.

Max

Max

• Administrators
  • 2,436 posts
  • LocationBangkok

Hi Kno,

Then if I use CSS embedded fonts as you suggest, I could use either a zawgyi or a unicode font to type and it will display properly to anybody reading thanks to the CSS, am I correct? 

I will consider my options and see what fits the best then.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge again, that really is helpful.

Cheers,

Max

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Burmese, character, alphabet, writing, reading

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users