Welcome to Mingalapar Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Paddling on Inle Lake

boat Inle Lake paddle foot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Brian

Brian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Good morning,

I'm Brian, a new comer to this website and preparing a trip to Myanmar.

I was looking at some amazing pictures of Inle Lake and saw fishermen with this strange way of paddling with the foot. I know this might be dumb to ask, since it might sound very touristy :), but is it possible to find someone who teaches you how to paddle like that and to paddle yourself.

I would love to try that while I will be in Inle. Anyone can help me with some contacts or address where I can find such teaching.

Thanks !!

Billy the kid

Billy the kid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Hey Brian,
I really doubt that there is any school teaching how to paddle/row like the locals in Inle Lake, but I am convinced that if you hire one long tail boat with its driver, you should be able to have a try paddling if you ask nicely.
Maybe when you negotiate with the guy who will do the boat tour for you, try to ask already if he would be ok teaching you. Just offer a little bit more than the usual price to convince him if you struggle to find someone to help you learn it, that may help since its just recognizing that he will need to do some extra work :).
I haven't tried that myself but as you know Myanmar people are really nice and if you are curious about their traditions and culture, I think they will be happy to tell you more and teach you some.
Hope you'll be successful, be careful that you don't fall into the Lake...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: boat, Inle Lake, paddle, foot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users