Welcome to Mingalapar Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sight seeing in Mandalay

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

YangonStyle

YangonStyle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationShanghai, China

Hi everybody,

I have been several times to Yangon and I love the city and the people there, but I haven't traveled much around the country yet. 

So I plan to come back in a few month to discover new places in Burma and even though I heard some people saying Mandalay is not so good, I am curious and want to check the city on my own.

So is there anybody here who has already been there and could advise me some good places to visit and eventually a nice hotel to stay, but not too pricey ?

Is there any places to go out a bit in Mandalay ?

Thx

johninyangon

johninyangon

Advanced Member

• PC Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

I've been to Mandalay before from Yangon by bus and I was quite disappointed by the city.

Mandalay really looks like an average Chinese city, there are a lot of traffic, pollution and motorbike.

I went to the golden palace monastery and also to the Mahamuni pagoda.

The golden monastery is nice but it was under renovation at the time I went there, I met a lot apprentice monk at the place.

For the Mahamuni, I was impressed by the deformed Buddha (deformed because a lot of people put gold leaf on it), the place was really packed as it is an extreme religious place.

Please note that the women are not allowed to see the buddha, they can see it from a screen outside.

I stayed only two days so I didn't have time to visit Mandalay Hill and the longest teak bridge in the world, guess I'll keep it for my next trip.

I stayed in Smart hotel in Mandalay, the hotel was ok and I paid 80 usd.

The room was charming and quite clean, even if I found a big cockroach inside but I still recommend this hotel.

For dinner, as I was missing western food I went to BBB European restaurant, and reward myself with a shish kebab, 

The food was soso but very acceptable by Burmese standard.

Hope it helps! 

John

Attached Files

Edward

Edward

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hi Yangon style,

Some people told me that they didn't like Mandalay that much either, but I really think there are many interesting things to see there, not specifically in the city but around as well.

I visited Mandalay last November and I did not regret to stop there during this trip to Myanmar.

As John mentioned it, you should really check out the world's longest teak bridge in Amarapura, south of Mandalay. It is really beautiful and you may see many monks wandering around or walking on the bridge. It is even more interesting to be there at dusk as you will see a lot of people going back and force on the U Bein's bridge, with an amazing light.

Sagaing just accross the river is also worth a visit, they have these white and gold stupas you should really go to see and due to the location along the river you have nice views there, especially from the Sagaing Hill.

I also went to Mingun, and the great part of it is not only the riverside village but also the journey to get there, as you get to cruise on the Ayeyarwady river and see authentic bamboo made houses.

When you are in Mingun, there are also a few Paya you could go, but you should really check the Mingun bell, which is the world's largest uncracked bell and weighting about a 100 tons.

If you want to go there I would advise to stay 2 days at the very least in order to visit the city a bit as well as spots around. Things to visit are a bit from each other, and you might be in a rush or even miss many interesting places if you stay too short.

About the Mahamuni Pagoda, correct me if I'm wrong John, but I believe that women can see the deformed buddha, but they are not allowed to be too close. From what I remember, there is an area around the buddha that only men can access and then of course only men are permitted to put golden leaves on the statue, but women can still see it from a certain distance, even if there are indeed screens to show it from a closer point of view.

YangonStyle

YangonStyle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationShanghai, China

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the tips, seems there is something to do in Mandalay in the end.

Do you know how long it takes by bus from Yangon to Mandalay, as I will be in Yangon first ? 

johninyangon

johninyangon

Advanced Member

• PC Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Hello Edward,

to be honest, I don't remember exactly the place.

I just remember that in some point women couldn't go further, you might be right and the buddha could be seen from other spots.

There are many buses leaving Yangon to go to Mandalay everyday.

The journey is around 8 hours, quite smooth and fast because the bus takes the nice highway connecting Yangon to Naypidaw to Mandalay.

John

MadamR

MadamR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

For the sight seeing in Mandalay, i think the sunsets views from Mandalay Hill should not be forgotten. 

Let's take a look. 

Attached File  m.jpg   188.99KB   0 downloadsAttached File  m 3.jpg   179.3KB   0 downloads

Attached File  dsc_8294te.jpg   88.64KB   0 downloadsAttached File  m 2.jpg   100.69KB   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users