Welcome to Mingalapar Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pyay???Is that place worth a visit?

Pyay

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Thet

Thet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Is someone ask me a question like that,I would like to ask three questions back. 1.Do you like to see ancient pagodas? 2.Do you love to see sunset at the hill of pagodas? 3.Do you want to see the local street vendors that still use leaves to pack the food? If so,Pyay is worth a visit.It's not as famous as Bagan.And less temples and pagodas than Bagan.Like Bagan,this is also the place where the ancient "Pyu" lived and and you can see their architecture.Pyay is known as Thayaykhittaya founded by King Dut Ta Baung in the times of Pyu Dynasty.Pyay means country in Burmese. The British called Prome.As I mentioned earlier,Pyay only have pagodas and their own interesting stories.There isn't fun.But still pleasant town.So,if you want to feel peace and quiet,Pyay would be a good choice to visit. Interesting places to visit- 1.Shwe Sandaw Pagoda(Landmark of Pyay.Shwe means gold,Sandaw means hair -this word only used in Buddha relics.) 2.Se Htat Gyi Pagoda (means big ten-storey Buddha because of the height of Buddha image) 3.Lay Myetnar Pagoda(Lay means four,Myetnar means face.A very rare exisiting monuments in caved-like pagoda.) 4.Hpo Oo Taung Pagoda(The hill where Buddha pointed to the place of where his teaching would flourish,the Thayaykhittaya) 5.Hwa Za Archaeological Museum(Collections of artifacts collected from Thayaykhittaya) Pagodas that built at the times of Pyu Dynasty- 1.Baw Baw Gyi Paya(Built at the time of AD 5th century,ancient cylinder shaped pagoda) 2.Payagyi and Payama Stupas(Built by King Dut Ta Baung) 3.Phaya Htaung Pagoda(Look like some pagodas in Bagan) 4.Bebe Pagoda(Cube shaped pagoda,Buddha with his two disciples was built inside the stupa) Around Pyay- 1.Shwe Bon Thar Muni Pagoda/Nge Bon Thar Muni Pagoda(These two pagodas were built on the hill.) 2.Shwe Myetman Pagoda Image/Shwe Nat Taung Pagoda(Located at Shwe Taung) 3.Akauktaung Pagoda(Different sizes and styles of Buddha Images are carved in the wall of mountain.)  

TS33

TS33

VIP Member

• Administrators
  • 2,125 posts
  • LocationBangkok

Hi Thet,

thank you very much for all your information, I'm coming to Myanmar next month but I don't think I'll have time to visit Pyay.

I think I'll come in August too and I'll go to have a look at Pyay.

I'm sure I'll like it if it is similar to Bagan as I think Bagan is the most beautiful place on earth.

I read many travel guide but I never heard about this city or never pay attention to the chapter about it.

Do you know why it is not famous? or maybe it is the best secret kept in Myanmar?

Have a nice day!

A journey of thousand miles begins with a single step!

baroso

baroso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

After you described Pyay, I really want to go to there.

I'll go to Mandalay soon, is it convenient to go there from Mandalay?

Do you know if it is like Bagan and I can ride bike to visit everything or I need a driver?

So many pagodas to visit, I think I'll make it one of the highlight of my next trip.

Thanks!

Thet

Thet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hey,guys.I didn't say "Pyay" looks like Bagan.I just say ancient "Pyu" lived in Pyay like Bagan.These two cities are not the same,totally different.The old Bagan is preserved so you can still see this capital like a medium-sized village.But the Thayaykhittaya which is located about 6km far from modern Pyay is scattered ruins of ancient Pyu capital.Now,it is just the ruin of a city.http://www.mrmyanmar...ayehhitaya.html Why it is not famous?I don't know,Jan.Many people in Yangon don't know much about Pyay.Even my friends don't know about Shwe Myetman Pagoda that I mentioned in another post.I think Myanmar people don't travel too much.Maybe they don't like travelling or maybe they can't afford.(As you know,the majority of Myanmar people is financial disadvantages.)If they get a chance to take a trip,mostly choose the highlights of Myanmar -Bagan,Kyaihteeyo,Bago,Chaung Thar,Inle. Transportation-There is no taxi in Pyay.You can hired motorbike taxi.(Mostly,tourists go to Pyay with Travel Agencies.) http://www.myanmars....yangon/pyay.htm(Hey,don't forget to look Akauktaung :)That's really amazing.) http://www.timetrave...a-pyay-myanmar/ Are you still interested in Pyay after seeing the photos?Sometimes,I tried to explain my friends about Pyay but no one interested.What do you think?Is Pyay interesting place or not?Or it is just me who are interested in Pyay :huh:

TS33

TS33

VIP Member

• Administrators
  • 2,125 posts
  • LocationBangkok

Hi Thet,

thanks for all your information.

After having a look at your picture, I really want to go there.

You're right it's not similar to Bagan, the pagodas are really different and it seems like there so many to see in the city.

How many nights do you think I should stay to visit all the main attraction?

I would love to hire motorbike but It is forbidden for foreigners to do it in Myanmar.

I saw in one of your link that you need to hire a private taxi to go there but it is very costly, is there any bus option?

Cannot wait to see this place!

A journey of thousand miles begins with a single step!

Max

Max

• Administrators
  • 2,436 posts
  • LocationBangkok

Thanks a lot Thet for this great report and interesting links you shared with us, I see why you are interested in Pyay and your friends should be as well !! It's a great part of Myanmar history I think and there seems to be magnificent attractions to see.

I particularly like Akauk Taung, this is really spectacular and really would love to see it, I will definitely try to go there soon.

Is it possible to walk along the wall of the hill as it is shown on one of the picture in your link or only allowed (at least for travelers) to pass by and look at it from a boat ?

Thet

Thet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Jan,I think it will take at least 3 or 4 days if you want to visit all the main attraction.I am not sure because I stayed there 10 days. I also spent most of my time at market :lol: .I love their food.I tried all the food that can't be available in Yangon.

Really?I think you can hire motorbike taxi in Pyay.Like in Bangkok,the locals will take you to the place that you want to go.If he can speak English,he will also explain about history.You can buy ticket at Aung Mingalar Bus Terminal http://mingalapar.co...lden-hill-city/

You shouldn't go there at rainy season.

Hey,Max.I don't know about this.Because I never had a thought to walk along the wall of the hill.Maybe I am afraid to walk like this :lol: .When I visited there,I just looked it from boat and there was no one at the wall of hill.I have no idea why she reached at the wall.If you want to walk,ask the local.That is allow or not.But I think that is dangerous for you.The sidewalk is so small.

Max

Max

• Administrators
  • 2,436 posts
  • LocationBangkok

Ok never mind, I will try to ask when I get the chance to visit Pyay. The path might be small, but that would be great to see it from close range, I'm not afraid on trying such path :).

I think TS33 meant that foreigners couldn't rent a motorbike, but of course you should be able to hire a motorbike taxi with a nice guide driving !!!

Thet

Thet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Hahaha...okay,Max.You are so curious or what? Brave? :lol: If you have a chance to walk along the wall,share your experience of walking like this. :)

Phyayphyay

Phyayphyay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Hi.. Pyay lovers.. Thanks for your information. It's really help me a lot. I've some photos of Pyay. But I don't know the places of that photos shot. Can you help me please! Please name the photo according to the place. 

Attached File  pyay016.jpg   106.88KB   0 downloadsAttached File  pyay029.jpg   98.02KB   0 downloadsAttached File  pyay030.jpg   117.48KB   0 downloadsAttached File  pyay031.jpg   134.44KB   0 downloadsAttached File  pyay041.jpg   85.77KB   0 downloadsAttached File  pyay058.jpg   121.82KB   0 downloads

roynolan

roynolan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I want to go to Pyay from Yangon then to Bagan. can anyone reccomend or tell me about the best bus service.

I am told the bus takes 6 hours from Yangon, but is this day or night bus? I prefer a day bus for this trip

also I am told that there is only 1 bus from Pyay to Bagan, leaving at 17:00 arriving at 03:00

thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pyay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users