Welcome to Mingalapar Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Myanmar Thingyan: All the World’s a Stage

- - - - - water festival Thingyan water fight Myanmar New Year free-spirited fun

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Max

Max

• Administrators
  • 2,436 posts
  • LocationBangkok

YANGON — Never mind the heat: If you’re one of Myanmar’s hip young things, April is by far the coolest month.

For a wet, wild week in the middle of the month, thousands of young people in Yangon and other cities around the country will do their best to wash away whatever sorrows they may have in a water fight that has to be seen to be believed.

Despite the Buddhist origins of the Thingyan water festival, which marks the start of the traditional Myanmar New Year, this is for many an occasion to indulge in a lot of loud, free-spirited fun.

Around Yangon, stages are erected and whole neighborhoods are turned into impromptu outdoor dance clubs, complete with blaring sound systems. Just add water—lots and lots of water—and your image of Myanmar as a staid, conservative country will dissolve before your eyes.

But this is not to say that everyone is happy with the way many now celebrate the nation’s most important holiday.

“This is such a loss of our culture,” says Mandalay-based writer Hsu Nget. “We used to celebrate peacefully, without spending huge amounts of money. Now if you go anywhere near Mandalay Moat, all you can see is big stages covered with ads.”

Read more: http://www.irrawaddy...rlds-stage.html

Joko

Joko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationYangon

My Tingjan... Part One:

Joko

Joko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationYangon

Wait... this goes on for a week?

stardust

stardust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationYangon

I think it's a four day thing..:).interesting vid by the way.

I had the similar scene just one lane across from where I live.

they finished it evry night around 2AM.

Happened to be talking for voting NLD party.

By the looks of the headbands in the this Vid.I think it's the same.

:wub: Peace & Love

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: water festival, Thingyan, water fight, Myanmar New Year, free-spirited fun

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users