Welcome to Mingalapar Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Arts & crafts in Southern Shan state, Inle Lake?

hand craft Shan state Inle lake

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Casanova

Casanova

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

I'm going to travel to Inle Lake and visit around soon, and I want to buy some stuff there that are unique to the region. 

I read that there are many craftsman and that you can find markets or vendors by the Lake of such hand made items, what should I bring back from there? Like Bagan has lacquerware, what would be the specialty of Inle Lake then?

Thanks

aster

aster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationYangon

I'm going to travel to Inle Lake and visit around soon, and I want to buy some stuff there that are unique to the region. 

I read that there are many craftsman and that you can find markets or vendors by the Lake of such hand made items, what should I bring back from there? Like Bagan has lacquerware, what would be the specialty of Inle Lake then?

Thanks

The unique one from Inle lake is fabric. There are different kind of fabric and pattern mostly are Shan Style. Among them, the fabric made from lotus is famous one in Inle lake (You need to ask someone where you can get it as it's really rare fabric in Inle lake). and another one is silverware, although we can get many silverware in Yangon, most of the people who visit to Inle lake would buy silverware. Have a nice trip there!!! :)

TS33

TS33

VIP Member

• Administrators
  • 2,123 posts
  • LocationBangkok

Thanks

Why don't you buy a fishermen? hahaha  :D

A journey of thousand miles begins with a single step!

Casanova

Casanova

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Why don't you buy a fishermen? hahaha  :D

Not sure that the local people will like that kind of joke...  :P  I could buy a boat as well, but not sure they will let me take it in the plane <_<

The unique one from Inle lake is fabric. There are different kind of fabric and pattern mostly are Shan Style. Among them, the fabric made from lotus is famous one in Inle lake (You need to ask someone where you can get it as it's really rare fabric in Inle lake). and another one is silverware, although we can get many silverware in Yangon, most of the people who visit to Inle lake would buy silverware. Have a nice trip there!!! :)

Yeah that's right, some people told me that Shan State fabric was really nice and that many Bamar were actually wearing Shan style clothes rather than Bamar ones. I still can't make a difference between those though...

Is silverware of better quality that what you can find in Yangon? Or maybe Yangon silverware is simply "imported" from Shan State?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hand craft, Shan state, Inle lake

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users