Welcome to Mingalapar Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Marry to a Burmese Guy or Girl in Myanmar

- - - - - marry myanmar burma

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

porridge

porridge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationTibet

Hello,

I know that it is difficult to be accepted by a Burmese family as you're foreigner but

I'm wondering how hard is it to marry a Myanmar Man or Girl in Burma?

What kind of paper will you need?

Thanks for the information.

Cheers

johninyangon

johninyangon

Advanced Member

• PC Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

First, you should know that back in time, it was easy for Foreigners and Myanmar nationals to marry together, you just needed to go to see the local judge But nowadays it becomes more difficult as all the judges will refuse even if it's not forbidden by the law.

The reason is that they are afraid it is an arranged wedding just for human trafficking purpose. What are they thinking? huh, do we all look like pimp?

The best way to marry is to marry abroad, the two best options are Thailand and Singapore.

In Thailand, you'll need an an affidavit of freedom, which can be delivered from your country embassy for you and by a Burmese court for your partner.

Both of those documents need to be translated in English by recognized organization and your partner will also need to get a certification from the Foreign office in Myanmar.

Then go to a local administrative office (amphur) and validate your wedding.

In Singapore, it's even easier.

You just need your passport and to fill a marriage application which you can find online.

Another condition is that the applicant (you or your partner) must be in Singapore for at least 15 days.

After the papers were filled, there is a 21 days waiting period.

You need to have 2 witnesses who are at least 21 years.

Hope it helps!

Maibpenrai

Maibpenrai

• Administrators
  • 696 posts
  • LocationBangkok/Yangon

Good question, I didn't know that is was so difficult to get married with a burmese man or woman.

Even if it's not possible there, at least you have the solution of Thailand and Singapore.

I don't know if it's quite often that a burmese person get married with a foreigner, I saw only once a couple in Yangon with a foreigner husband, the burmese wife and two lovely little boys, mixed, talking english with the dad and burmese with the mum.

I guess that those things could change in the future, and be more simple.

The key to happiness is freedom, and the key to freedom is courage.

TS33

TS33

VIP Member

• Administrators
  • 2,123 posts
  • LocationBangkok

I'm not sure but I think that most of the couple foreigners Burmese meet abroad that's why you don't see any in Yangon.

A journey of thousand miles begins with a single step!

Olyala

Olyala

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hi all

My myanmar guy and I plan to get married in future. So he got consultation with local lawyer about it and lawyer told him that for myanmar man more easy to get married with foreigner than same procedure for myanmar woman in Yangon. But lawyer ask from my side only my foreign passport for traveling and doesn't interest in any translation of my non English passport, he doesn't ask any affidavit of freedom from my side. Whole procedure will cost 400-450 usd. Is it ok that he doesn't interest other documents except travel pasport? Or price of his service includes close eyes on other documents?

sumyatwin

sumyatwin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello, Everyone, I found this posts while I search information for my marriage with a french guy. I don't know what to start with. I don't get any clear information. some people say registration marriage aboard is better. but i think things are changed lately. any updates for cross marriage?

Roxy

Roxy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBangkok

its up to you whether register outside or in country. If outside country, the requirements are according to the law of the country that you gonna register your marriage. 

As far as I know, its possible if you wanna do it in Myanmar. You have to prepare some documents from different government offices so the best is try to find one lawyer/agent who gonna do all the official documents/procedures for you. mostly their offices are around city hall yangon (forgot the name of the streets where most lawyers offices are located). the fee is not so expensive as well. if you both are buddhist and/or currently reside in country, its earsier, i heard. The requirements also vary according to the religion cos MM marriage procedures are based on religion. 

you can read the info on this thread also. 

http:/www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/769244-abc-guide-on-how-to-marry-myanmar-citizen/

• sumyatwin likes this

sumyatwin

sumyatwin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

thank you so much for your kind answers. it clear my questions a lot.

Chill

Chill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I wrote the post in thaivisa that Flora linked to, not hard to get married, but it does include some legwork and patience along the way ;)

Max

Max

• Administrators
  • 2,436 posts
  • LocationBangkok

thank you so much for your kind answers. it clear my questions a lot.

Did you manage to get a marriage registration? You did it in Thailand?

All the best of luck :)

• sumyatwin likes this

sumyatwin

sumyatwin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I did do yet. My partnerand me are still in seperate oversea yet. We will manage on April in yangon.

Max

Max

• Administrators
  • 2,436 posts
  • LocationBangkok

Ok, I see!! I hope everything will be as explained when you do it. So you will do the paperwork in Yangon and marry in Thailand as suggested?

Let us know how it goes when you do, it is certainly useful for many people.

All the best,

gorjeo20

gorjeo20

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello, I am British and planning to get marry Burmese lady. What's the process (if even possible) to get marry burmese lady in MM? Your help is appreciated. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: marry, myanmar, burma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users