Welcome to Mingalapar Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Yangon business opportunity and how to prospect

yangon open business business opportunity

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

BurmaBiz

BurmaBiz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Hello everyone!

I'm Matt, I'll move in Yangon end of this year to look for some business opportunity.

What do you guys suggest me to do? Where should I start my prospect?

For now, my only idea is to open a coffee shop with free wifi internet. Do you think it's a good idea?

Please give me some advice.

Thanks

Max

Max

• Administrators
  • 2,436 posts
  • LocationBangkok

Hi Matt,

Myanmar is a newly open country and it would be difficult for anyone to give you a turn key solution, even there are some consulting companies that have a good knowledge of the country and can help you. But since you are willing to open a coffee shop or something similar, it might an expensive fee for you to go through a consulting cabinet. 

For me, as you are planning to stay there for 6 months to start and see if you enjoy life in Myanmar, the cheapest solution and probably the one which can give you the best ideas, is just to try to be part of the city, wander around, check what's existing and talk with people, and I am sure that you will come up with a lot of great ideas, since there are many things to be done in Myanmar and endless opportunities as in every opening country with good potential.

You might need some advice from a consulting company, or a business lawyer to help you with the paper work and to apprehend the regulations, but they will not find ideas for you.

As for the free wifi connection coffee shop, it can be a good idea, but there already are such type of shops, and you need to be sure that you have a strong connection, Myanmar internet being quite unstable. 

Maybe you want to come up with a shop or business that Yangon is lacking, directed towards expats or locals, but you will see for yourself what's best, I don't know what are your aspirations.

It might be common sense what I am saying, but I hope this still helps :), Chok Dee !!

BurmaBiz

BurmaBiz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

You're suggesting me to walk around without goals? I'll try it :)  and make new friends is a good idea too.

Where should I start? In Thailand, there are many events organized by different entities is it the same in Yangon?

Maybe I can try to make connection in nightclub so many people do that in bangkok, is it the same in Yangon?

Thanks for your input man.

Max

Max

• Administrators
  • 2,436 posts
  • LocationBangkok

No I am not suggesting you to walk around without goals. 

But you said yourself that you wanted to stay 6 months at first to see if you will enjoy the life here, then you will not probably open your business right away, whatever it may be. But since you will not open a business as soon as you arrive in Yangon, I thought that it may be a good idea for you to first try to know more about Myanmar and especially Yangon city, and since the country is under development you will probably find several ideas by simply walking around, meeting people and seeing what there is that you can do in this country, and believe me there is a lot.

Yes, there are events in Yangon as well, but I wouldn't say that there is as much as there are in Bangkok. When you plan your first visit to Yangon, you should probably check out for the events planned at this period.

For example, next week there is an expat gathering on Tuesday evening, at Vista Bar organized by internations.

Then a good example of place to meet other foreigners living in Yangon is 50th Street Bar, which is the most popular place amongst expatriates. You can probably make connections and start to create your network.

So probably, creating a network by going to expat bars and events in Yangon is a very good way to start your enterprise and I even believe it is a must, you will learn a lot by conversing with people living and working in Myanmar, since you know little about the country.

Good luck with your enterprise,

pwpw

pwpw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello Max and BurmaBiz,

I know this topic has been almost two years, but I am also thinking opening a small business there in Yangon, any input would be much appreciated..!   

BurmaBiz, hope you had done it!... any suggestion for newcomers?  :  )

natetyler

natetyler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

hey pwpw can i get ur email, i want to open a business in ygn as well, may be we can share some info.

sean

sean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
hi max
can i have your email because i plan to open some small business at myanmar
, can share some suggestion?

Max

Max

• Administrators
  • 2,436 posts
  • LocationBangkok

Hi Sean!! 

I will be glad to share my limited knowledge with you :), but please feel free to ask me here.

It might be helpful for other people as well.

Cheers,

Max 

gomtang

gomtang

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I will be heading back this coming June again to observe the market again and try to source for a suitable location... -_-

gomtang

gomtang

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Ooops, something went wrong with the first post....

Im looking for a partner for a mid range eatery business; Its to cater to local and foreigners. I did some onsite research but the major stunbling block is finding the right place. Its either ridiculously expensive or not suitable to run F&B. Hence the above post....(finally linked up). Anyone who is keen in running this operation with me can drop me a mail.

cax.rex@gmail.com

7thmaze

7thmaze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Ooops, something went wrong with the first post....

Im looking for a partner for a mid range eatery business; Its to cater to local and foreigners. I did some onsite research but the major stunbling block is finding the right place. Its either ridiculously expensive or not suitable to run F&B. Hence the above post....(finally linked up). Anyone who is keen in running this operation with me can drop me a mail.

cax.rex@gmail.com

Hello gomtang, 

I'm looking for some opportunity to start up eatery business. But I would like to start from small since the rental fees are so expensive for me. 

kush

kush

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi , 

i am looking foe business prospect in Yangon Myanmar field of intreste  is in construction i m supplier of natural stone from india marbles granite sand stones etc . anybody  knowing weather Myanmar has market for this where can i find whole sellers . How can i go about it planning to visit Yangon but need to know whom to meet . any info would be helpful email me on kushmaurind@gmail.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: yangon, open business, business opportunity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users