Welcome to Mingalapar Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Retirement visa in Myanmar

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Kris

Kris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hey, I'm wondering if retirement visas are available in Myanmar or not, as it is in Thailand? I'm an old guy and I would love to move to Myanmar for part of my old days, but I haven't found information on that type visas so far.

Is it possible to do? And if not what are my options if I want to settle in Myanmar or at least stay there for long period of times? I don't want to go in and out every 28 days to get a new tourist visa, that's crazy.

TS33

TS33

VIP Member

• Administrators
  • 2,125 posts
  • LocationBangkok

Hey, I'm wondering if retirement visas are available in Myanmar or not, as it is in Thailand? I'm an old guy and I would love to move to Myanmar for part of my old days, but I haven't found information on that type visas so far.

Is it possible to do? And if not what are my options if I want to settle in Myanmar or at least stay there for long period of times? I don't want to go in and out every 28 days to get a new tourist visa, that's crazy.

I think retirement visa doesn't exist in Myanmar that's why you are not able to find any information on it.

You should change your plan.

A journey of thousand miles begins with a single step!

swaa

swaa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Maybe a local travel agent, who deals with visa's, would be as good a place as any to start. Possibly more chance of a reply than any government run department . Just a thought.  

Whatever will be keeping an eye on the thread, a few months a year in Myanmar certainly wouldn't be frowned on. Good luck. 

Kris

Kris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

What do you guys recommend then? Because between the tourist visa with 28 days stay and 70 days with a business visa, there are not many options available it seems. Are there any other ways to stay longer? 

Maybe a local travel agent, who deals with visa's, would be as good a place as any to start. Possibly more chance of a reply than any government run department . Just a thought.  

Whatever will be keeping an eye on the thread, a few months a year in Myanmar certainly wouldn't be frowned on. Good luck. 

So can you recommend a travel agent who can set up a long term visa for me?

Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate

TS33

TS33

VIP Member

• Administrators
  • 2,125 posts
  • LocationBangkok

What do you guys recommend then? Because between the tourist visa with 28 days stay and 70 days with a business visa, there are not many options available it seems. Are there any other ways to stay longer? 

So can you recommend a travel agent who can set up a long term visa for me?

Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate

You can also overstay just for 3 USD a day.

A journey of thousand miles begins with a single step!

Kris

Kris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

You can also overstay just for 3 USD a day.

Is it really safe? Since I want to stay long term in the country will it be ok if I have like 6 months overstay?

Knowing that the government is still a bit military controlled and seeing what is happening now for people who overstay in Thailand, I dont feel like breaking the law like that and have high risks finding myself thrown out of the country for long term.

What is the maximum length of overstay you have heard about?

vibrationsensor

vibrationsensor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I think have problem with you when u overstay more than one month... big problem when u check out.

What do you do at Myanmar??

you can get business visa for long term stay at here ( allowed 70days), and u can extend visa at next time.

If you want to get visa i mention above, you should have acceptance letter or invited letter ...from local company 

and i think have some agency can help make this letter and get visa for you

KentonJurgs

KentonJurgs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Is it really safe? Since I want to stay long term in the country will it be ok if I have like 6 months overstay?

Knowing that the government is still a bit military controlled and seeing what is happening now for people who overstay in Thailand, I dont feel like breaking the law like that and have high risks finding myself thrown out of the country for long term.

What is the maximum length of overstay you have heard about?

I am aware of overstays of some 6-8 months, although admittedly these were on business visas.  As posted above, USD$3 per day, and no dramas on leaving.

Myanmar is looking at offering Permanent Resident status to foreigners later this year, although there will be a vetting process on this.

Not sure if any of this helps in the OP's case though

• Kris likes this

Kris

Kris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi KentonJurgs, 

Thanks for the insights. I'm surprised that you can stay up to 6 months without having any problems other than paying a 3$ fine a day of overstay, that seems to be a good news. What if you do this several times, still able to leave without drama? 

What kind of vetting process will this Permanent Resident status require?

I guess you need to show that you have some kind of investments in the country, a large amount of money in the bank or proving that you have stayed for several years already, or some stuff like that. Isn't it?

It's not exactly replying to my initial question, but your information is still very helpful since I'm looking for a way to settle in Myanmar in the long term, be it  with a retirement visa or any other permit to stay. I'm open to any mean as long as I get the end that I want...

swaa

swaa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Are you aware you can now apply for a 14 day or month extension on a 28 day visa?  After that, who knows. 

I'm sure you can find travel agents yourself by using google, or check out the visa page on site.  

KentonJurgs

KentonJurgs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi KentonJurgs, 
Thanks for the insights. I'm surprised that you can stay up to 6 months without having any problems other than paying a 3$ fine a day of overstay, that seems to be a good news. What if you do this several times, still able to leave without drama?

No problem if it happens several times. I'm assuming it is a good little revenue raiser. No issue to re-enter the country later, but do always keep checking to see if any changes in policy take place.

What kind of vetting process will this Permanent Resident status require?
I guess you need to show that you have some kind of investments in the country, a large amount of money in the bank or proving that you have stayed for several years already, or some stuff like that. Isn't it?

There was an announcement earlier this year, not sure if I can post a link here. Google it or PM me and I'll send through the relevant links.

Kris

Kris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Are you aware you can now apply for a 14 day or month extension on a 28 day visa?  After that, who knows. 

I'm sure you can find travel agents yourself by using google, or check out the visa page on site.  

No I am not aware of visa extension for 28 days visa, where can it be done? Can you extend several times the same visa, or just only once? Any idea of the costs?

No problem if it happens several times. I'm assuming it is a good little revenue raiser. No issue to re-enter the country later, but do always keep checking to see if any changes in policy take place.

There was an announcement earlier this year, not sure if I can post a link here. Google it or PM me and I'll send through the relevant links.

Sure, I don't want to find myself in trouble because of change in immigration rule, but if I can avoid to have overstays at all I would prefer it. Even if it may cost a bit more expensive, I would rather have a proper visa that allows me to stay in the long term, if I can.

Will PM you for the links. Thanks again

KentonJurgs

KentonJurgs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

PM sent

Kris

Kris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Great, message received with thanks.

• KentonJurgs likes this

Billy the kid

Billy the kid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Never heard of this kind of visas, I think it doesn't exist yet and anyway, there might not be that demanded.

Think a bit, Thailand is easy, cheap, can find girls, safe and sabaay sabaay; whereas Myanmar is more expensive (at least for housing, which already makes a big difference), girl is not that easy to get, country is not Western style looking and you still have political and military instability

Why would the masses come to Myanmar for retirement? That doesn't really make sense.

Not that I think that you are crazy, cause I totally understand and love Myanmar, but it's not just the obvious heaven for the average retired guy.

Max

Max

• Administrators
  • 2,436 posts
  • LocationBangkok

Hi Kenton Jurgs,

Please feel free to post the news if this is relevant to the thread. 

Cheers,

Max

KentonJurgs

KentonJurgs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Most recent info from June:

http://www.irrawaddy...r-minister.html

And an earlier article from MT:

http://www.mmtimes.c...ncy-system.html

• Kris and montf like this

montf

montf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks for the links, KentonJurgs. I will look into this seriously.

KCouture

KCouture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

yeah no such thing as a retirement visa. The only visa that allows foreigners to stay for long periods is the MIC long stay one. Its pretty much a temporary residence card for foreigners. That's what I use and its pretty convenient albeit that annoying drop off card you have to pick up whenever you come back. But it allows for a one year stay with multiple entry. Each time you come return you've gotta pay 9 USD to pick up another reentry card which you then drop off at immigration when you leave. You must be affiliated with an MIC approved company to obtain it tho

• PaulGeorge likes this

PaulGeorge

PaulGeorge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationUSA

Hi KCouture, can you please let me know more about the MIC long stay visa.

What MIC stands for, and how do you get such visa? Do you still have to exit every 70 days if you have this visa, or you can stay one year consecutively?

Thanks a lot for your information

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users