Welcome to Mingalapar Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Retirement visa in Myanmar

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Salmonela

Salmonela

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

PaulGeorge,

A description shamelessly lifted from a website (private company, not official):

Myanmar Investment Commission (MIC)
In April 1994, The Myanmar Investment Commission (MIC) was formed under the Ministry of National Planning and Economic Development. MIC is a government-appointed body that appraises Foreign Investment in Myanmar, Local Myanmar Investment and Joint Venture (JV) Investment Proposals of Myanmar and foreign investors. MIC has been re-established in 2011 and consists of serving Govt. Officials in Service and eminent professionals who are not in service of the Govt. the Republic of the Union of Myanmar. After scrutinizing investment proposals, MIC issues its permit – MIC Permit, which gives investors special privileges, tax incentives, investment protection, etc.

Until recently, the MIC was located in NPT, but they've relocated to Yangon in recent months, just off of Inya Lake.

• KentonJurgs likes this

KentonJurgs

KentonJurgs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Until recently, the MIC was located in NPT, but they've relocated to Yangon in recent months, just off of Inya Lake.[/size]

That's got to be a first - for years it was a mass exodus of government ministries and departments up to NPT. This is the only logical reversal I've heard of :)

Salmonela

Salmonela

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

That's got to be a first - for years it was a mass exodus of government ministries and departments up to NPT. This is the only logical reversal I've heard of :)

If I had to guess, finding English speakers (which is probably important to this agency - not that that they necessarily give a damn) has got to be pretty tough in NPT.  Of course at civil service wages, it's probably not too easy in Yangon either.  Just as likely that some government minister missed his family in Yangon, and had the political pull to make the move happen.

• KentonJurgs likes this

PaulGeorge

PaulGeorge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationUSA

PaulGeorge,

A description shamelessly lifted from a website (private company, not official):

Myanmar Investment Commission (MIC)
In April 1994, The Myanmar Investment Commission (MIC) was formed under the Ministry of National Planning and Economic Development. MIC is a government-appointed body that appraises Foreign Investment in Myanmar, Local Myanmar Investment and Joint Venture (JV) Investment Proposals of Myanmar and foreign investors. MIC has been re-established in 2011 and consists of serving Govt. Officials in Service and eminent professionals who are not in service of the Govt. the Republic of the Union of Myanmar. After scrutinizing investment proposals, MIC issues its permit – MIC Permit, which gives investors special privileges, tax incentives, investment protection, etc.

Until recently, the MIC was located in NPT, but they've relocated to Yangon in recent months, just off of Inya Lake.

Thanks a lot for this answer, even shamelessly copied from another website :).

But do you know how to obtain the MIC long stay visa that KCouture was talking about? Do you have this type of visa yourself?

Salmonela

Salmonela

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
I do have a long stay visa, but I got it through my wife's company as part of her expat assignment (they're aren't "spouse visas" here the way there are n some countries), so when she got her longoing stay visa, they automatically gave me the same kind (I'm basically retired).

KCouture

KCouture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Hi KCouture, can you please let me know more about the MIC long stay visa.

What MIC stands for, and how do you get such visa? Do you still have to exit every 70 days if you have this visa, or you can stay one year consecutively?

Thanks a lot for your information

MIC is the Myanmar Investment commission. You must be affliated with an MIC approved company to obtain it. After that you can easily apply for the long stay. It allows for multiple entry for one year. No requirement to exit every 70 days.

• PaulGeorge likes this

PaulGeorge

PaulGeorge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationUSA

Wow great, thanks!! Didn't know you could get a visa that allows you to stay more than 70 days.

Is it like easy to get it then? I mean are most companies in Myanmar affiliated to the MIC, and do you need to have any other business visas in your passport before applying? 

Telecaster

Telecaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

yeah no such thing as a retirement visa. The only visa that allows foreigners to stay for long periods is the MIC long stay one. Its pretty much a temporary residence card for foreigners. That's what I use and its pretty convenient albeit that annoying drop off card you have to pick up whenever you come back. But it allows for a one year stay with multiple entry. Each time you come return you've gotta pay 9 USD to pick up another reentry card which you then drop off at immigration when you leave. You must be affiliated with an MIC approved company to obtain it tho

What are the requirements for this MIC Visa?

Edit: saw an answer, but still, I wonder the same as PaulGeorge...

KCouture

KCouture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

MIC stands for Myanmar Investment Commision. You must either be a director of an MIC approved company or be an employee who gets written acknowledgement by the director(s). On top of that there are several annoying paperwork to prepare for. Some examples are quarter township recommendation, official list of employees in the company, documentation from local embassy etc.

One annoying thing about this visa is that you need to go get an FRC card from downtown before u fly out each time. Which is why I'm going to convert my visa to a one year long stay business visa this week because I am so over the hassle of having to do that each time. I mean imagine, in case u have to fly out on a weekend at an ungodly hour due to medical emergency u can't freaking leave without that silly card!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users