Do you know about Mandalay Palace?
Here're some facts... (cuz i'm a student of South East asia studies)
1. The palace was constructed, between 1857 and 1859 as part of King Mindon's founding of the new royal capital city of Mandalay.
2. The plan of Mandalay Palace largely follows the traditional Burmese palace design, inside a walled fort surrounded by a moat.
3. The palace itself is at the centre of the citadel and faces east. All buildings of the palace are of one storey in height. The number of spires above a building indicated the importance of the area below.
4. Mandalay Palace was the primary royal residence of King Mindon and King Thibaw, the last two kings of the country.
5. Much of the palace compound was destroyed during World War II by allied bombing; only the royal mint and the watch tower survived.
6. A replica of the palace was rebuilt in the 1990s with some modern materials.
7. Today, Mandalay Palace is a primary symbol of Mandalay and a major tourist destination.