Welcome to Mingalapar Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How to overstay your visa in Myanmar

- - - - - Myanmar Overstay Visa

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Saisai

Saisai

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 618 posts

Hey.. please note it's not an official information. I just want to share how you should do just in case of emergency. One of my friends told me the following information is very useful for him.. I read it . I like it. and i share it. :) 

Most people will need to apply in advance for a Visa to travel in Myanmar (there are very few select circumstances where a visa may be available on arrival).  A typical tourist visa, which is what I'll talk about here, is good for 4 weeks (28 days) from arrival.

Fortunately overstaying a visa in Myanmar is a relatively cheap and painless affair (while extending a Myanmar visa is much more difficult).  Here's the scoop.

WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT OVERSTAYING YOUR MYANMAR VISA

NOTE: Overstaying your visa could possibly get you in trouble, make it difficult to travel in the country, or make it impossible to get back in the country afterward.  Do so at your own risk.

WHY YOU WOULD WANT TO OVERSTAY?

With 28 days in the country, how could you ever want more?  You only need to see Bagan and Inle Lake right?  Well, while some people are good with a week or two visiting the major sites, many people who come to the country can never seem to get enough (me).

HOW LONG CAN YOU OVERSTAY YOUR MYANMAR VISA?

This is fairly up in the air, but I'd say that a month would be doable.  At the Yangon airport, there is a sign lising the fees for overstay at $3/day up to 90 days, and $5/day after that.

I have overstayed 3 weeks on several occasions.  I'd say that a month or so may be pushing it, particularly if you continue traveling around.  I've overstayed 7 times over two 2 passports.

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?

It's a relative bargain to overstay your visa in Myanmar.  At $3USD / day ($3 admin fee is no longer charged) it's almost like they're paying you to stay (not really).  

In contrast, it's 500baht / day in Thailand (~$16) and if you're caught in the country with an expired visa, you could be jailed or banned from re-entering the country in addition to the fine.  One couple I know inadvertently overstayed a month in Thailand and had to pay ~$1000 in overstay fees just to leave the country.

Read more.. http://dustinmain.co...campaign=buffer

• 58kokogyi likes this

NicholasH

NicholasH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Wow.. Really? Only 3USD for overstay? If so, we should do exactly as he suggested.. Thanks :) 

miley

miley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Thanks for sharing very important information. As for me, 4 weeks is completely enough and I don't need more. Even though i got a chance to overstay officially, I can't stay because of my shortage of time and money.. :) 

But i want why it is so cheap! The government never aware of that section.? 

Joko

Joko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationYangon

I've heard that the problems really start once you overstay more than 20 days.

Due to work schedule and the difficulties of getting a flight out of where I'm at now (NPT), I'm planning on overstaying 19 days on my current business visa. I'll report back in October if I run into difficulties.

miley

miley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

I've heard that the problems really start once you overstay more than 20 days.

Due to work schedule and the difficulties of getting a flight out of where I'm at now (NPT), I'm planning on overstaying 19 days on my current business visa. I'll report back in October if I run into difficulties.

Hi Joko, 
wish you all the best. Is everything okay,now? 
I hope to hear something from you. 

Joko

Joko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationYangon

Yeah, it was no problem at the airport at 19 days.

I did have a big problem a few days before that, however. A friend and I drove our motorbikes from Naypyitaw to a small city to the west called Taungdwingyi. Our goal was to check out the ancient Pyu ruins there.. the oldest city in Myanmar.. spend the night and then drive back to Naypyitaw the next day. 

There were two hotels in Taungdwingyi, both managed by the same folks. They were adamant about checking our visas to make sure they were valid before allowing us to check in. Mine wasn't. They wouldn't let us stay there. No amount of persuasion would change their minds. 

We had to get back on our motorbikes and drive back to Naypyitaw!

I can't imagine this is only place in Myanmar that won't allow overstays to stay at the hotel.

If that happens to you, you can always stay at a monastery (we didn't think of that until later).

MyaWinBalway

MyaWinBalway

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Overstaying your visa in Burma is not advised.

The unofficial penalty is castration for males and mastectomies for females.

You have been warned !

Phyayphyay

Phyayphyay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Overstaying your visa in Burma is not advised.

The unofficial penalty is castration for males and mastectomies for females.

You have been warned !

OMG .. What are you talking about? I think it's not the right place to say like this. I've no idea why you're talking like this.
Be careful.. My bro.  

• Eccentrichel likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Myanmar, Overstay, Visa

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users