Welcome to Mingalapar Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Moving Stuff to Yangon

shipping customs duty tax boarder moving relocation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

DaBai2

DaBai2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationBkk soon to be Yangon

Hi there,

So I am moving from Bangkok to Yangon and as such need to bring my things. As I am fairly mobile my personal possessions are minimal but nevertheless more than I can bring on a single airasia flight. I need to bring 2 large suitcases of clothes, a box of electronics (dj gear, 2 laptop computers, patch chords, mics and small miscellaneous bits) I also need to bring my bicycle...that is pretty much it everything else I'll ditch or give away and pick up there. I would appreciate recommendations for bringing these things to Yangon. I could make a couple flights which I plan to do anyway (electronics would likely come during a flight), or I could tuff it out and cross overland with everything at once, or I could ship a lot of it but I worry about paying duty especially on items like my bicycle. I really don't want the long arduous task of travelling overland but it may be the best option to get my stuff there. I was even considering having a bike cart made in Mae Sot, loading it with some items and riding my bike across the boarder then having a driver take me to Yangon...anyway a lot to figure out in a relatively short period so any thoughts suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

DaBai2 

micheal

micheal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

I think there're some services that carry the household accessories from Bkk to Yangon.. But i don't know the name exactly. My burmese friend who was a student there once told me when he'd to go back, he'd lot of books and can't carry with flight at all.. That's why he used that services. If I'm not mistaken, that services is located near Indra Square shopping center, pratunam. 

He told me that was not too expensive.. I'll ask him again detail if you want more.. 

DaBai2

DaBai2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationBkk soon to be Yangon

I think there're some services that carry the household accessories from Bkk to Yangon.. But i don't know the name exactly. My burmese friend who was a student there once told me when he'd to go back, he'd lot of books and can't carry with flight at all.. That's why he used that services. If I'm not mistaken, that services is located near Indra Square shopping center, pratunam. 

He told me that was not too expensive.. I'll ask him again detail if you want more.. 

Would be great if you could tell me the company. Thanks for the response

martinoo

martinoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSEA

http://www.excess-baggage.com/

maybe use these services or find a shipper in Bangkok?

Or take a decent airline, fly business and the rest as oversized luggage?

Max

Max

• Administrators
  • 2,436 posts
  • LocationBangkok

I'm just thinking, but if you have a helpful friend in Thailand and you are not in a rush, you could just leave some stuff in Bangkok and get them back when you have to do your visa run. I suppose you will be on a Business visa and at first you would have to exit the country after 70 days... so, would be a good opportunity to go back to Bangkok and pick up the missing stuff.

Just my 2 cents... works only if you don't need everything right away.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shipping, customs, duty, tax, boarder, moving, relocation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users