Welcome to Mingalapar Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is durian popular in Myanmar?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Kato

Kato

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

How popular is this fruit? I have seen it in many countries. What I find interesting is how the fruit stands selling durian in Thailand are busy and they go through a lot of baskets every day but I never see anybody eating it. In Laos I didn't see any for sale. In Cambodia people sell it from a cart, shop at the market, or walk around selling it on a big platter or as a sweet snack like this sticky rice topped with whipped durian. I even saw a guy put it in his cold beer. Here's a picture of sticky rice durian, the first time I ever ate it. It was an accident, I thought it was something else, but even though it smells bad to me, it tastes good!

Attached File  2013-07-13_1452.png   607.96KB   0 downloads

The next adventure is just right around the corner...

http://www.vpncompany.com/

lotus

lotus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Like in most of the country in South East Asia , durian is very popular in Myanmar.

Especially now as it is the durian season, you can find it in every markets. For example if you go to Chinatown at night you'll be really surprised by the number of fruit stalls selling durian.

As a foreigner, I'm not a big fan of it but it seems like Burmese enjoy eating it.

Hsorino

Hsorino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Yeah for sure durian is popular in Myanmar. Recently I have seen a lot everywhere in the markets, people buy it there and ask the seller to cut the skin of for them, I also didn't see people eating them right away, but I assume they do :).

Laura

Laura

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Durian is one of my favorite fruits. There are generally two different kinds of durian; one from Thailand and one is called Myanmar durian. We can buy Thailand durians anytime     . But they are pretty expensive. This is Myanmar durian season. Myanmar durians are not as big as Thailand one. But they are more tasteful than Thailand one. There are  so many durian gardens in Mon and Kayin state. This is the middle of the durian season so u find it's cheaper than other time. Some people make this durian to jam. Durian jam smells softer than durian fruit. In my durians, these are vary from which part of Myanmar they come from like Maw-La-Myaing durian, Kya-Inn durian, Koe-Tine durian, Sa-Ka-Watt durian and so on. Some said Maw-La-Myaing durians are good. Some said Sa-Ka-Watt durians are delicious. Their taste are different either from one to another. 

sawasdee

sawasdee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Durian is also one of my favorite fruit. Foreigners usually don't like it as the smell is too strong for them.

For me the best ones are the Cambodian one but I didn't have the opportunity to try the Myanmar one yet.

It is true that the Thai one has someitmes no taste.

Cannot wait to try the durian from your country, by the way how to say durian in Burmese?

Laura

Laura

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi sawasdee Durian is called ' du ring tee' in Myanmar. Tee means fruit ,for example ' pan tee' for apple, ' ta yak tee' for mango. So generally u will hear ' tee' sound at the end of every fruits. Thanks

Kato

Kato

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Durian is one of my favorite fruits. There are generally two different kinds of durian; one from Thailand and one is called Myanmar durian. We can buy Thailand durians anytime     . But they are pretty expensive. This is Myanmar durian season. Myanmar durians are not as big as Thailand one. But they are more tasteful than Thailand one. There are  so many durian gardens in Mon and Kayin state. This is the middle of the durian season so u find it's cheaper than other time. Some people make this durian to jam. Durian jam smells softer than durian fruit. In my durians, these are vary from which part of Myanmar they come from like Maw-La-Myaing durian, Kya-Inn durian, Koe-Tine durian, Sa-Ka-Watt durian and so on. Some said Maw-La-Myaing durians are good. Some said Sa-Ka-Watt durians are delicious. Their taste are different either from one to another. 

That's interesting, thanks for the info. I'll have to try Myanmar durian when it's the season. 

Durian is also one of my favorite fruit. Foreigners usually don't like it as the smell is too strong for them.

For me the best ones are the Cambodian one but I didn't have the opportunity to try the Myanmar one yet.

It is true that the Thai one has someitmes no taste.

Cannot wait to try the durian from your country, by the way how to say durian in Burmese?

Thai durian smells but the taste is more subtle. I find the ones in Cambodia have a more strong flavor too. 

Hi sawasdee Durian is called ' du ring tee' in Myanmar. Tee means fruit ,for example ' pan tee' for apple, ' ta yak tee' for mango. So generally u will hear ' tee' sound at the end of every fruits. Thanks

Hello! That's great info, now I can say some fruits which is really helpful. The word for apple makes me laugh a bit because it sounds like english "Panties" which are women's underwear. 

• Laura likes this

The next adventure is just right around the corner...

http://www.vpncompany.com/

TS33

TS33

VIP Member

• Administrators
  • 2,125 posts
  • LocationBangkok

Hey Laura,

I tried a Durian shake yesterday in Zawgyi house, it was really delicious not too sweet and the taste was... cannot described with words, really delicious!

I tried Cambodian durian before and I can certify that Myanmar durian is better.

• Laura likes this

A journey of thousand miles begins with a single step!

Vitoon

Vitoon

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi, I am Vitoon from Thailand.

I am a guest lecturer at Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University ,Bangkok(Pathumthani as a part of Bangkok metropolitan),Thailand.

I love to eat durian also.

Thai durian actually is very good taste when we cut at the right ripe time espectially Montong variety name.Fresh is thick.Seeds is small..Medium soft fresh when ripe.Taste is wonderfull sweet and creamy.The right color is light  yellow fresh .Smell good but not over ripe one.

Bad reputation of tasteless Thai durian come from selfish grower who want to sell half ripe durian quick to get  quick money, maximum weight(we are selling by weight not per fruit,ripe durian is lighter) without worry about hard fresh which not fully ripe,white color instead of light yellow in Montong variety and it will taseless ,crispy like potato or even harder. The Thai new law issue to protect this young cut durian.The seller will be fine and or imprison punnishment.

The highest price of Thai Durian is G a r n  Yaao(long fruit stalk) variety which can reach 15,000 Baht per fruit(in this case sell per fruit) or about US$ 470 per fruit. It is round shape,medium size of 1.5-2.00 kg. per fruit, less smell,yellow fresh,not that thick fresh like Montong,taste very good sweet and creamy at the right ripe time.Seed is big like many local durian.

I am interesting in good  local varieties durian from different countries.I plan to come to Myanmar because of Laura information.Please advise me right season,place and person in contact  so I can go to visit ,eat and decide to buy fruit,seeds and plants also will introduce Thai people who love durian to go in a group tour.We have formed Thai Durian Lover's Club also.

Please contact me at my e-mail address : plant_intertrade@yahoo.com or call me at my mobile phone : +66 81 8746002 for more details discussion.Season is going by.

In Thailand we treat the plants with chemical to get all year round durian fruiting. I may arrange a course for people who interesting to learn about this.

I feel stronger this period because of eating durian almost everyday.Not too much because,one or two seeds cover fresh, it is high energy and consider hot fruit.

Enjoy Durian.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users