Welcome to Mingalapar Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Why are women supporting Myanmar’s ‘religious protection laws’?

- - - - - Protection Laws Women

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

BurmeseNews

BurmeseNews

VIP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts

In mid-August 2015 Myanmar’s parliament passed the final two of four controversial religious protection laws. The bills have now been signed into law by President Thein Sein, joining the Interfaith Marriage Law and Population Control Law. The international narrative depicts them as a package of legislation that discriminates against women and non-Buddhists, being promoted by anti-Islamic nationalists led by MaBaTha (or the Organization for the Protection of Race and Religion) and the 969 Movement. In Myanmar, the legislation is opposed by civil society groups — led most vocally by women’s and rights groups — who argue that the laws violate international norms, Myanmar’s treaty obligations, and are likely to further inflame religious conflict.

Yet this simplistic binary narrative of opposition ignores the appearance of widespread support for the laws not only among large swathes of the male population, but also among some women. How do we explain the fact that some groups of women in Myanmar would back a set of laws that other groups of women claim will be bad for women?

To date, the general discourse focuses on the ways prominent monks may use the laws to gain socio-political influence for MaBaTha and 969. Similarly, political parties and government officials are thought to back the legislation strategically as a way of courting Buddhist voters. But these instrumental accounts cannot effectively explain laywomen’s support for the laws. Most Myanmar women are not in a position to realise these types of political benefits.

Another explanation either explicitly or implicitly suggests that women who advocate for the laws do not fully understand them and are themselves naive, manipulated, and/or exploited by power-hungry monks and political leaders. This argument is equally problematic as it is not only demeaning to women — who have frequently taken a very active, visible role in the protests in Rakhine State or the nation-wide signature campaigns — but also strips them of agency by not recognising them as self-aware, rational actors.

http://www.eastasiaf...rotection-laws/

Saisai

Saisai

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 617 posts

I think this article is quite strange. I've never heard or seen that women are supporting that laws. But his point of view is quite strong and reasonable. And the author knows very well about Myanmar, i think. Not like other journalists. 
Anyway, I appreciate your point of view even though some points are controversial to me! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Protection Laws, Women

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users