Welcome to Mingalapar Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Best things to do in Inle Lake?

Inle lake attractions tourism travel Myanmar

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Max

Max

• Administrators
  • 2,436 posts
  • LocationBangkok

Hi everyone,

I am going to Inle Lake in a few days, leaving from Yangon by bus on Monday afternoon, and I would like to know what are the best things to do there for a stay of two days. 

Hiring a boat taxi to bring you everywhere on the lake or rather visiting by bike on roads close by the lake? Going to Taungyi for a day, or spending two days at the lake itself?

Which place recommended to eat, where to go for handicraft shopping...? Which area to avoid since it is touristic place and you get robbed :) ?

Any recommendation or advice is really welcome.

Thank you in advance,

aster

aster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationYangon
one day in inlay lake is enough to wander around. I would like to suggest you to go the nearby place around taunggyi including pintaya. When you arrive at taungyi, try the local food. Its really delicious even the street stall.

Max

Max

• Administrators
  • 2,436 posts
  • LocationBangkok

Hi Aster,

Thanks a lot for your advice, I will try to wander around the lake within one day then, what is the best option to do that? Hiring a boat?

And what about Pintaya, was is interesting to visit there, is it far from Taungyi?

Sorry if for my lack of knowledge about the region  :huh:

terence29

terence29

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Hi Aster,

Thanks a lot for your advice, I will try to wander around the lake within one day then, what is the best option to do that? Hiring a boat?

And what about Pintaya, was is interesting to visit there, is it far from Taungyi?

Sorry if for my lack of knowledge about the region  :huh:

Hey Max,

The only option to wander around the lake is by boat unless you had mastered walking on water. Lolx. Just joking.

IngridIngyin

IngridIngyin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Didn't you go and check local crafting workshops in Inle?

They make silver ornaments, iron knives and many other items made of metal.

And there are many traditional cotton weavers as well. 

Cotton clothes from Shan State are popular for its quality.

You can look around how people plant on small floating islands too.

Max

Max

• Administrators
  • 2,436 posts
  • LocationBangkok

Thanks Ingyin, unfortunately we had to cancel our trip to Inle Lake this time, since one of your dear admins was not in condition to travel due to sickness (he is perfectly ok now) but I will definitely have a look to the workshops when I get the chance to go there, I have been told that it's really interesting, but also that some of them are just "attractions for tourists" at least the one where the boatman will bring you generally, is it true?

How do you know that I can walk on water Terence ??  :D What I meant, is that if there was also interesting on the land side of the lake, that you could check by bike.

Anyway, I will opt for the boat since it seems the better thing to do there !!

Thanks

terence29

terence29

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Thanks Ingyin, unfortunately we had to cancel our trip to Inle Lake this time, since one of your dear admins was not in condition to travel due to sickness (he is perfectly ok now) but I will definitely have a look to the workshops when I get the chance to go there, I have been told that it's really interesting, but also that some of them are just "attractions for tourists" at least the one where the boatman will bring you generally, is it true?

How do you know that I can walk on water Terence ??  :D What I meant, is that if there was also interesting on the land side of the lake, that you could check by bike.

Anyway, I will opt for the boat since it seems the better thing to do there !!

Thanks

I'm not too sure about on land but i'm sure on the interesting part on land. Am planning to go up maybe end Aug.

Max

Max

• Administrators
  • 2,436 posts
  • LocationBangkok

Let us know how your trip was after your come back from your visit there in August.

Cheers,

micheal

micheal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

In my opinion, feeding the seagulls following our small boats is the best thing to do in Inle. I'm not sure why that seagulls are following us all the ways... to attack or ask for food? 

But feeding them is really awesome for me! 

Attached File  mike-schultz-egret-inle-lake-7.jpg   94.96KB   0 downloads.. see this photo.. the seagulls just follow even though the travellers don't feed them. 

Saisai

Saisai

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 618 posts

In my opinion, feeding the seagulls following our small boats is the best thing to do in Inle. I'm not sure why that seagulls are following us all the ways... to attack or ask for food? 

But feeding them is really awesome for me! 

attachicon.gifmike-schultz-egret-inle-lake-7.jpg.. see this photo.. the seagulls just follow even though the travellers don't feed them. 

they are following us for both food and attack actually.  during our trip, we found out quickly that if we tossed up some bread, the gulls swoop down in droves and snatch  it mid air. This was fun for a few seconds until we realized that we were running out of bread but the gulls weren’t running out of appetite. With visions from Hitchcock’s The Birds flashing before my eyes yelled at our boatman to go faster! :)

Vinod

Vinod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi friends,
How can I get to Phaung daw oo pagoda in Inle lake.- Vinod Dhir-

Max

Max

• Administrators
  • 2,436 posts
  • LocationBangkok

Hi Vinod, the best way is probably to go there by boat. If you are staying around Nyaung Shwe in the North of the lake, you could just go there by boat. I think it is the fastest and nicest way to go down to Phaung Daw Oo pagoda.

But if you want more opinions about this, you might want to open a new thread, specifically about this pagoda and how to get there... 

Good luck

micheal

micheal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

One of the best things to feel in Inle is "to enjoy the sunset".. Don't forget to see it! 

Saisai

Saisai

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 618 posts

One of the best things to feel in Inle is "to enjoy the sunset".. Don't forget to see it! 

I totally agree with you, Micheal.. Enjoying sunset at Inle is breathtaking and stunning.. Actually, those words can't fully represent the awe scenes .. 

Here're somes! 

Attached File  Inle.jpg   241.02KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Inle 2.jpg   277.91KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Inle 3.jpg   94.62KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Inle 4.jpg   152.18KB   0 downloads

miley

miley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

I'm just want to know about floating gardens of Inle Lake. When I was in Inle Lake, no one suggest me to go there.. But when I came back and chatted with my friends, they ask me about that gardens.  They said it's quite amazing.. Why I didn't know about that!  

Saisai

Saisai

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 618 posts

Don't worry. Please come again and enjoy! Before you come, please save the following photos about the floating gardens.. :) 

Attached File  lake.jpg   602.9KB   0 downloadsAttached File  lake 2.jpg   374.89KB   0 downloads

micheal

micheal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Amazing Balance! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Inle lake, attractions, tourism, travel, Myanmar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users