Welcome to Mingalapar Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Long week end in Myanmar, full moon festival and martyr's day

- - - - - Myanmar festival holiday festivities martyrs day Aung San

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Giana

Giana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Hi everyone,

While I was reading some news on Myanmar today, I read about a long holiday week end in Myanmar because of several celebrations. First it was talking about martyr's day and that it was to celebrate General Aung San death more than sixty years ago, saying that this person was a hero for his country since he was the corner stone of Myanmar's independence from the UK, and then they talked about a full moon festival of Waso, but without giving much details.

Can you guys tell me more about these two holidays, I'm really curious.

What are the celebrations for these two events? I understand it is pretty important ones, so what do you Myanmar people do during these days? Is it more about family gathering, or going to the temples to give offerings or maybe big festivities where everybody join?

Please share your knowledge, vision and experience, I'd really appreciate to know more about it :)

Thanks a lot

Giana

Giana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Hey guys, nobody could tell me about these festivals? I thought it was a big thing in Myanmar, guess I was wrong :(

Thet

Thet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Hi Giana, Sorry for waiting that long.I didn't see your post before.Yes,these are special days for Burmese people. The full moon festival of Waso is also known as Dhammasetkya Day in Myanmar.It is a public holiday and celebrates throughout the country.This festival commeemorates the time when Buddha gave his first teaching,the Four Noble Truths(Cattari Ariyasaccani in Pali) to the five monks.People go to the pagodas to offer flowers and observe this day with the acts of merit.Mostly,people observe the Sabbath at full moon day.Offer food and robes to the monks and also offer food to the ordinary people.Monks are not permitted to travel overnight during this period. July 19 marks Martyrs' Day in Myanmar.Because on this day General Aung San and other members of his cabinet were assassinated.On July 19,1947-General Aung San and other ministers were holding a cabinet meeting at Secretariat in downtown,Yangon.While they were holding meeting(approximately 10:37 a.m),a group of armed men in uniform entered the building and gunned down the General Aung San and the other people in the meeting hall.The assassinations were planned by a rival polital group and the leader of this group was known as Galon U Saw.The assassinated were,   General Aung San(Prime Minister)   Dee-Dok U Ba Cho(Minister of Information)   Mann Ba Khaing(Minister of Industry)   U Ba Win(Minister of Trade)       Tha-khin Mya(Minister of Home Affairs)       U Razak(Minister of Education and National Planning)     Sao San Tun(Minister of Hills Regions)   U Ohn Maung(Deputy Minister of Transport)   Ko Htwe(Bodyguard of U Razak) Burmese people pay respect to not only General Aung San but also the other fallen leaders at this day.And General Aung San is considered the father of Myanmar's independence from Britain, which it achieved several months after his death.

• Giana likes this

Giana

Giana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Come on Thet, you shouldn't apologies at all, you gave me answers and explanations every time I have a specific question like this one, I can learn more about Myanmar culture thanks to you and even learn some things and anecdotes that I would have never found by myself over the Internet, thanks a lot :).

So for the festival of the full moon of Waso, did you go to the temple as well to pay respect to the monks and make some offering? Again, I had no idea than it was about the first teachings of the Four Noble Truth...

I understand better now how the commemoration of the death of General Aung San and his ministers is important to Myanmar, but it is a sad episode of your history. Do you know how did it profit to this Galon U Saw rival of General Aung San, since I believe he didn't gain anything from that and probably even put him in jail if it was know that he did prepare this assassination? 

This episode probably changed a lot in Myanmar history post colonial era.

Thet

Thet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Our family usually goes to the monastery that is situated in my dad's hometown almost every year.We offered robes and food to the monks.And made sattuditha(sattu=four,ditha=direction).Sattuditha means donate food to people that come from everywhere.People don't need invitation letter to come to sattuditha and treat them equally. The Four Noble Truths are the central core of the Buddhism.In Burmese,we call Thitsartayarlaybarr. To understand these four noble truths,you need to understand what Dukkha is.Dukkha is a pali word.Some people translated Dukkha as suffering,dissatisfaction or stress.But none of these words can express the exact meaning of Dukkha.Buddha taught us three kinds of Dukkha. 1.Suffering Dukkha-physical,emotional and mental pain are Dukkha. 2.Impermanence Dukkha-anything that is not permanent is Dukkha.Your feelings(happy,sad,anxious,satisfied,pleased,...) are also Dukkha because they are not permanent.Anything will fade with the time.Nothing is stable. 3.Conditioned States Dukkha-All phenomena are conditioned.Everything affects everything else. The Four Noble Truths are- 1.Life is Dukkha.   2.The origin of Dukkha is attachment.   3.The cessation of Dukkha is attainable.   4.The path to cessation of Dukkha. (All human beings will grow up and die some day.During our lifetime,we will suffer physical pain.We will suffer from sickness because of old age.And also we have to endure psychological sufferings such as sad,fear,depression and so on.We born,getting older,feel pain and anxious,then we will die.These are the things that we can't inevitable.This is the first Noble Truth.)

I'm not good at explaining things.Hope you can understand!

Thet

Thet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Yes,Galon U Saw didn't gain anything from that and he was hanged in Insein Jail.

YangonStyle

YangonStyle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationShanghai, China

Hey great to read Thet actually, just saw this topic, but your expalanations are clear I think :).

I also didn't know about the four noble truth in detail, good thing that you explained, do you have an explanation for the 3 other Noble Truth? I'm going too far I guess, I will try to search for them...

I read on the website a few things about the festivals, like some are really interesting to attend, how do you think of this one for an exterior visitor? Do you thing it is worth being at a temple to attend this festival because of his beauty and to understand better Buddhism in Myanmar, or you would rather recommend other festivals?

I hope the question doesn't sound too silly :).

Have a good day

Thet

Thet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

For you,I think there is not much things to do in this festival.I'll tell you what our family do in this day and decide yourself,that is interesting festival or not.We went to the monastery at 7:00 a.m.The monastery that we went to is outside of the town and built on the hill.So the view is really great!I think this is the best place for meditation.The monk preached the prayer to the people for about two hours.Then,people offered robes to the monks.And then,we offered food.After we offered things like rice,soap,detergent,medicine,money to the monks, "Waso Robes Offering Festival" was over.

I would like to recommend Thingyan festival(Myanmar New Year).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Myanmar festival, holiday, festivities, martyrs day, Aung San

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users