Welcome to Mingalapar Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How do you think of street food stalls in Myanmar?

- - - - - foods Myanmar street food stalls

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

IngridIngyin

IngridIngyin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Hey guys 

I would like to know how the locals and foreigners think of street food stalls in Myanmar?

I agree with that most of street food stalls are not hygienic.

So any suggestions to improve the quality of street foods and to attract tourists like in Thailand?

I really love street foods in BKK. Delicious meals, nice packing, cheap price and being hygienic are like inviting me to try them.

I hardly eat at street food stalls in Yangon except the one selling "pork-on-stick" at Sein Lan So Pyay garden.

• sawasdee likes this

Thet

Thet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

I agree with you.The food are not hygienic but I think delicious.I really love it.But I rarely eat street food since I moved to Yangon.Not because of I think it's not hygienic but because of I love cooking.So mostly,I make meals by myself.But I never get sick if I eat street food.Maybe my stomach is used to it or I'm real strong person.heehe... Yes,the street foods in BKK are delicious and also hygienic.But I prefer Vietnam one.I have never tried pork-on-stick at Sein Lan So Pyay before.Thanks sis.I like this food and will try there. From what I found in these food stalls is that they use the same water to wash dishes again and again.That's really disgusting when you look at the water bucket that they use to clean dishes.And they use the same hand to prepare meals and to accept money from buyers.I think they never wash hands.But there are also a few street vendors that sell hygienic food.

Good luck with street food,everyone ;)

• IngridIngyin likes this

aster

aster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationYangon
food stalls are the easy ways to enjoy local food not only for foreigner but also for local as well. I saw many foreigner who got food poisoning after trying some street food (except our admin). Even locals, they got sick after having street food esp in rainy season. I also think if they can prepare the food hygeincally, its better for everyone and many foreigner will have many chances to try our local food.

TS33

TS33

VIP Member

• Administrators
  • 2,125 posts
  • LocationBangkok

In Thailand we say that more it looks dirty, better chance it will be delicious lol, not sure it's true.

But iI think that in general Thailand street food seems cleaner that Burmese one, maybe because they have running water in their shop so they can clean food and plate easier.

I've been in Cambodia and get sicked for 15 days after eating the street food.

• sawasdee likes this

A journey of thousand miles begins with a single step!

Maibpenrai

Maibpenrai

• Administrators
  • 696 posts
  • LocationBangkok/Yangon

Hi,

I didn't have the chance to try while my trip to Myanmar, indeed I was not sure about the hygiene, but I would love to because trying local dishes it's a must to do when you visit a country, unfortunately I am afraid that my European stomach will not handle it. 

The key to happiness is freedom, and the key to freedom is courage.

sawasdee

sawasdee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

This is not exactly true TS33, what we say in Thailand is if the shop looks dirty and if still there are many people then the shop should be delicious.

Max

Max

• Administrators
  • 2,436 posts
  • LocationBangkok

To be honest, I was a bit doubtful about the hygiene (and still am I think) and was not sure if that would be safe to try.

But since I was staying in China before and ate in similar kind of street food stall, with poor hygiene and never got sick, I felt that my stomach should be strong enough to taste it. And so I tasted several kind of street food and liked it, and I felt absolutely no problem with my stomach, so maybe I am used to it.

But when I said that to my father, who is a retired doctor, he asked me if I was crazy and to be very careful with such food... but it's ok, I will try it again  :lol: !!!

As it was mentioned in a previous post, you should carefully look how they prepare the food and wash the cutlery, and follow the Thai saying, then I believe you would be ok, but I guess not all stalls match that criterion. That's probably why foreigner and Burmese alike are sick sometimes because of eating in these stalls.

• Ros likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: foods, Myanmar, street food stalls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users