Welcome to Mingalapar Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tourist faces jail over pulling plug on prayer sermon

- - - - - tourists

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

BurmeseNews

BurmeseNews

VIP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
A TOURIST is facing two years in a Burmese prison after he pulled a loudspeaker plug during a religious sermon near his hotel so he could get some sleep.
Dutch citizen Klaas Haytema, 30, has apologised for the September 23 incident, in which he allegedly disconnected the amplifier during late-night Buddhist prayers at a religious hall in the tourist city of Mandalay in northern Myanmar.
Soldiers were deployed to protect Haytema from an angry mob of people who gathered outside his hotel after he silenced the sermon.
He was arrested and charged with insulting religion and has been detained while awaiting trial.

“I wanted to sleep desperately. I couldn’t stand the noise and checked outside the hotel,” Haytema said at an initial court hearing, according to the Coconuts Asia news website.
“I saw that children were playing. I thought that they were playing it [the sermon] and disconnected the amplifier.
“I did not notice that it was a religious building. I am really sorry and I really apologise.”

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tourists

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users