Welcome to Mingalapar Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Driving license for foreigners in Myanmar

- - - - - driving license foreigner myanmar

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

yangonexpat

yangonexpat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

I want to rent a car in Myanmar and I would like to know if an international driving is enough or will I need to apply for the Myanmar driving license? In case, I need to pass some tests, how hard is it and what kind of test?

TruthTraveller

TruthTraveller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationYangon, Myanmar

You can have a temporary driving license for foreigner. You don't have to try the test or something like that. You need to show your international driving license to the license office for some paper work only. Sorry I don't know the procedures about it in details. But I am very sure that because I have some foreigner friends who using Myanmar driving license.

FREE FROM DESIRE

yangonexpat

yangonexpat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

How long is the temporary driving license? Can it be renewed?

Thanks for your reply.

YangonStyle

YangonStyle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationShanghai, China

I used to do this driving license, it's pretty easy indeed, won't take you very long yangonexpat, but you can only do it if you have a business visa from what I recall, but I guess you have one.

As for the duration of the temporary driving license I'm not sure, since I didn't use it for very long, so I don't want to say anything wrong...

TruthTraveller

TruthTraveller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationYangon, Myanmar

Hey Guys,

I am happy to share those tips for ya'll.I know of one person wrote those tips and I share it back here. Hope it's helps. :D

Your original license certified copy of the license copy of passport and visa letter from you letter from your sponsor (usually employer) 20,000 MKK service fee 50 FEC for 5 year license 2 passport (or smaller ask in a photo shop for right size) photos of you with blue background Get someone to go to licensing office on your behalf, unless you speak Myanmar well, in Yangon to process it (your office staff will know where it is). You get a yellow bit of paper once in progress and license back in a couple of weeks Sometimes easier, if you are going, to do it in Naypyitaw but not essential As always, easier if you have a contact in the licensing office

Cheers,

T.T

FREE FROM DESIRE

Kato

Kato

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Getting a 5 year license right away is pretty cool!

The next adventure is just right around the corner...

http://www.vpncompany.com/

Max

Max

• Administrators
  • 2,076 posts
  • LocationYangon/Bangkok

Yeah, remember a while back in the US they gave me a driving license that was only valid till the end of my visa only for 4 months, so if I came back I had to renew it, pretty convenient to have this 5 year driving license right away.

racrac

racrac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationYangon

I just got my license converted, no test nothing, just pay 90,000 kyats in total, for 5 years validity, i cant even know if I will stay here this long ha.

I got a staff to arrange with agent for me in RTD, the breakdown of fee they show me are:

LIcense charges USD50 @972 = 48,600ks

License charges 1200ks

Premium fee 200ks

General & service charge 15,000 ks

Notary 25,000ks

first 3 i believe is to make it 50,000ks and general is the "service" to get the license pronto.

• TruthTraveller likes this

Max

Max

• Administrators
  • 2,076 posts
  • LocationYangon/Bangkok

Hey Racrac, how long did your staff needed to get your license converted, within a day? 

Where was your license issued, Cambodia? I don't know if there is any difference in the process whether you are from ASEAN or not.

Thanks for sharing this valuable info

racrac

racrac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationYangon

It took like a week, I got it on Thursday. My staff first asked me for 3 photos, photocopy passport and visa, and my original driving license, company support letter (in burmese), then after a week my license returned together with my new Myanmar driving license. This was done in Yangon. I think it is the same for all foreigners, but maybe service fee varies.  

shini4

shini4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi All, 

Racrac (or anyone), would you be kind to share the contact number of person who help you? Or details of office where we can go or call?

Thanks in advance.

aster

aster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationYangon

Hi All, 

Racrac (or anyone), would you be kind to share the contact number of person who help you? Or details of office where we can go or call?

Thanks in advance.

Hi shini, 

I have one email about this service and it's used by my previous foreign colleague. I will PM you. 

shini4

shini4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi Aster,

Very nice of you. Thanks a lot :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: driving license, foreigner, myanmar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users