Welcome to Mingalapar Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Advice please: moving to Sittwe via Bangkok/Yangon; transporting 100kg personal affects?

- - - - - moving luggage baggage

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

ak11

ak11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi all,

I'll be moving from the United States to Sittwe in a couple of weeks, and have been informed by my organization that they will pay for the transport of up to 100kg of baggage/personal affects. However, I haven't been given much guidance on the best way to get my goods there.

Right now, I have several plastic trunks (that fit within international size restrictions) which I plan to use (and tape up to ensure they are secure...though of course I know they may be inspected at some point en route).  My organization suggested that I just fly with all of my goods and they will reimburse me later.  

However, I am stopping over in Bangkok for a few days first, and then will need to stop in Yangon for a few days (for security briefings, etc.). I know that storing baggage isn't too difficult at BKK, so I'm not worried about that. My org is also taking care of arranging my transport from RGN to Sittwe (though I'm also a little nervous about the baggage allowances on those flights--but they tell me not to worry!).  But I am worried about finding a flight from BKK to RGN that will allow all of my excess baggage--and hopefully at a somewhat reasonable cost. 

Does anyone have any advice on good airlines to take for this leg (BKK to RGN) with a pretty massive amount of excess baggage? I'm thinking 5-6 plastic trunks plus a large backpack. Alternatively, does anyone have any tips for other/better ways of getting 100kg of goods halfway around the world? I'm really not sure how this is normally done, but the idea of me lugging a bunch of trunks from airport to airport doesn't seem like the most efficient approach! 

Thanks so much in advance!

Best,

A

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: moving, luggage, baggage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users