Welcome to Mingalapar Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Shipping personal belongings to Myanmar

shipment personal belongings transport expat Myanmar Yangon furniture container taxes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Somewhere on earth

Somewhere on earth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on earth

I plan to move to Myanmar in a year of time, and even if I'm regularly moving around the world, I still have accumulated some stuff that I want to bring me. Of course I will sell part of it, but there are some things that I became attached to and some furniture that I really like and doubt I could find in Myanmar, I don't know exactly what's the volume, but probably between ten to twenty cubic meters, say half of a container.

So I wonder if anybody has good advices for a carrier that could help me bring these stuff to Yangon.

I don't know exactly either what are the regulations and taxes in Burma, I fear that it is the same as in Thailand where the custom tend to tax your items as if they are new ones, from what I read.

So if someone could advise me an agent to help me and who knows how to avoid to pay taxes if any, I would really appreciate.

Thanks a lot for your help,

IngridIngyin

IngridIngyin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

From where are you going to send your stuff to Myanmar?

Well if it is too much you better check some shipping companies from your side. They can suggest you and guide you I think.

Normally Custom levy taxes on the items which seem to be more than enough for personal use.

Suppose, there are 5 same items of same brand in your box, you gonna have to pay tax for that.

I think it is depending on the shipping company from your side.

At this point, the way they negotiate with custom is important. 

Some shipping company just take from your side and even provide home delivery service to Yangon. 

• Somewhere on earth likes this

Somewhere on earth

Somewhere on earth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

I am going to send my stuff from Germany, I'm currently in Frankfurt.

Yeah I know I could contact a shipping company here, but I'm not sure whether they have good ties with an efficient Myanmar agent or not, even if they say so, I'm not gonna necessarily trust them on their word.

I don't have anything duplicated or almost, appart from clothes, so I guess I would be ok with the taxes at destination.

That would be great to have a company delivering right to my place in Myanmar, would you have any names that would do that from Germany to Yangon, with a good and efficient service of course.

Thanks

IngridIngyin

IngridIngyin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

There are many shipping companies for the countries like Singapore, China, Japan, Korea and whatsoever country which has more business ties with Myanmar. I have no idea bout shipping companies in Germany. Let me give you some suggestion. There is the fastest way I know. You can send your items via EMS to Myanmar. Well you can't send furniture as they take charge per Kg. But for the clothes, small stuffs and books you can use EMS. It take only few days to reach Myanmar. For sure EMS service will contact you when your items reach Yangon. They will ask you to discuss with custom because your items are more than a small pouch. Don't worry for that. You can explain to them about your difficulties and explain why you sent your items with EMS. You may need to pay some tax on books I think. Comparing to complicated procedure with shipping companies, paying some tax and explaining to Myanmar custom is much more easy and time saving. ;)

For the furniture you love, I have no idea about carrying these items. Hey just leave them at your home :D. Enjoy wooden furniture of Myanmar. 

Somewhere on earth

Somewhere on earth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

EMS might be expensive, but I'll save same to time and money on the shipping procedures, that's true. I think there is no EMS in Germany, but should be send with Deutsch Post, which have ties with EMS.

I certainly will buy furniture made in Myanmar, but I'll just end the bail of my apartment in Germany, hence I can't leave my stuff there. So I still need to find a way for that. I'll enquire some shipping companies then.

Thanks a lot for your advices Ingrid Ingyin, appreciate it.

KakashiSensei

KakashiSensei

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I am using Crown rellocations: http://www.crownrelo.com/

In Myanmar:

Mr Su Htway Win

Mr Win Moe Thant

Crown Relocations

#790 Room 702

Bogyoke Aung San St

Lanmadaw Township

Yangon

Myanmar

Best regards

Rui

DaBai2

DaBai2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationBkk soon to be Yangon

Any word on how things turned out for you on this one

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shipment, personal belongings, transport, expat, Myanmar, Yangon, furniture, container, taxes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users