Jump to content

Welcome to Mingalapar Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

N. Korean agents may have killed the daughter of a Myanmar judge in 1985

- - - - - agents

  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic



    VIP Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,234 posts
Newly released documents reveal that North Korea may have been responsible for the death of a Myanmar woman about two years after the 1983 Rangoon bombing. She was the daughter of the Myanmar judge who sentenced one of the North Korean bombers to death.
The South Korean foreign ministry declassified more than 230,000 documents on April 11. Some of these documents describe a lunch meeting between South Korean ambassador to Geneva Lee Sang-ok and Myanmar ambassador U Thein Tun in 1986.
Following the meeting, Lee wrote in a diplomatic cable: “It was a case that we could not get to the bottom of. Hints of North Korean cigarettes were found at the scene, and the victim did not show any signs of suicidal tendencies prior to her death.”
The woman’s body was discovered in Japan, where she had been studying, in 1985. The documents do not reveal any other circumstances of her death.
In October 1983, three North Korean agents rigged the Martyrs’ Mausoleum in Rangoon with explosives in an attempt to assassinate South Korean president Chun Doo-hwan, who was scheduled to arrive for a ceremony.
President Chun was reportedly stuck in traffic when the bombs went off and avoided harm. However, 17 South Koreans – many high-ranking government officials – and four Myanmar people were killed by the blast. Forty-six others were injured.
Myanmar police apprehended Kim Jin-soo and Kang Min-chul while they were trying to escape by boat on the Yangon River. The third agent was killed in a gunfight.
Kim Jin-soo was sentenced to death and executed in 1984, and Kang Min-chul was sentenced to life in prison after he cooperated with the Burmese investigation. He died from liver cancer in 2008 while being transferred from Insein Prison to a hospital.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: agents

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users