Welcome to Mingalapar Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Coffee imports flood Myanmar markets despite local potential

- - - - - coffee import myanmar market

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

TS33

TS33

VIP Member

• Administrators
  • 2,125 posts
  • LocationBangkok

Myanmar has many acres of lands dedicated to coffee cultivation but it imports nearly US$100 million worth of coffee and instant coffee mix per year, according to agriculture expert Tun Win.

"Some of the lands in Myanmar have the same type of soil found in the coffee plantations in Brazil, but we are not able to use them effectively so we have to import coffee and coffee mix every year," said Tun Win.

Tun Win said that the authorities confiscated over 100,000 acres of farmlands in Pyin Oo Lwin, Nyaungcho and Kyaukmae in Shan State for coffee plantation projects, but nothing has been done on these lands. When farmers demanded their lands back, they were arrested and sent to prison.

"[The authorities] confiscated farmlands in our area but nothing has been grown on them and they have been left vacant for many years," said a farmer from Pyin Oo Lwin.

Read full story http://www.elevenmya...local-potential

A journey of thousand miles begins with a single step!

TS33

TS33

VIP Member

• Administrators
  • 2,125 posts
  • LocationBangkok

I'm not a coffee drinker so I wonder how does Myanmar people rate their own coffee?

Is it really world standard as stated in the article?

A journey of thousand miles begins with a single step!

johninyangon

johninyangon

Advanced Member

• PC Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

My opinion on this article is that Myanmar has the potential to produce many things but they don't have the technic yet so it might take time before we see less items import to Myanmar.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coffee, import, myanmar market

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users