To Pack or Not to Pack? The Ultimate Packing Guide for Your Myanmar Trip
Are you coming to Myanmar for a vacation? You’re probably very excited about it. In fact, you’re all set—you’ve bought your plane tickets, booked a hotel and planned the itinerary. There’s one more thing left to do and it’s to pack your things. Do you know what you need to bring to your vacation to this beautiful Asian country? Here’s a definitive guide that will help you make the right packing decisions.
What to Pack
- Clothes (modest and weather-friendly), and comfortable walking shoes
- Travel documents (visa, passport, tickets, hotel reservation vouchers, trip itinerary)
- First aid kit (prescription medications, bandages, tweezers, medications for pains, stomach upset, toothache, and so on)
- Flashlight (useful if you’re visiting remote areas)
- Gadgets (camera, video cam, tablet or laptop, music player, e-reader, batteries, chargers, plug adapters)
- Mosquito repellent
- Bathing suit
- Rain gear (especially if you’re traveling during the rainy season, which is from May to September)
- Antibacterial hand sanitizer
- Sleeping bag (even budget hotels provide bedding)
- Mosquito net (most hotels have screened windows)
- Toiletries (ask the hotel if it will provide you with basic toiletries so you don’t have to bring your own)
- Too many gadgets (you’re here to have a wonderful vacation experience, not to spend the entire day on your laptop playing games or surfing the internet).
More tips for packing
- Make a packing list. Having a comprehensive packing list helps you accomplish two things: packing just the right amount of stuff, and avoiding over packing. Not to mention, it also helps you ensure that you don’t forget anything important.
- Don’t be a show off. Although Myanmar is relatively safe, it doesn’t make sense to wear flashy jewelry or flaunt your high-tech DSLR camera, which is practically like telling everyone, “Hey, I’m a rich tourist, come and rob me.”
- Consider not only the weather but also the culture. The weather is probably the first thing on your mind when packing. Since you know that Myanmar is quite hot, you might want to pack tank tops and shorts. But don’t forget that this Buddhist country is quite conservative. In fact, you won’t be allowed to enter temples if you’re not dressed properly. You don’t have to be covered all over, but wear light clothing that doesn’t expose your chest, shoulders and knees.
- Think about power supply for your electronics. Are you going to bring your gadgets to your vacation? You’ll surely want to bring your cell phone, camera and video cam, and you might want to pack your music player, laptop or tablet. Be sure to bring a plug adapter. Most sockets in Myanmar hotels use the typical European socket, carrying 220 to 240 volts.
- Bring ample cash. Credit card is a convenient way of making purchases during vacations. But you must know that in Myanmar, only few establishments accept these cards. There’s also not too many ATMs here. Bring crisp bills, since those with creases or folders will not be accepted.
Be sure to pack the right items for your Myanmar vacation. Doing so will help you have a grand time sans any problem or stress.