Top Dining Spots in Myanmar That You Must Try
One of the most exciting and intriguing cuisines in the world that you should taste is Burmese food. With its rich history, Burmese food is a merger of Indian, Chinese and Mon influences mainly comprised of rice as the staple and a wide selection of vegetarian options. It’s a medley of regional cuisines, that’s why it possesses a lot of unique characteristics. Preserved meats are generally common inland while seafood is widely used in coastal communities.
If you’re visiting Myanmar for the first time and you like to know which dining spots are the best to go to for a yummy and filling meal, check out the following places:
It may be a rural area but Inle Lake offers a lot of dining options for tourists that serve a wide array of culinary surprises. Eateries in this area can be classified into two types: Shan and Inthar cuisine. The former has more western-style dishes while the former is mainly comprised of local specialties. When in Inle Lake, make sure to try these restaurants:
- Ann’s Restaurant – For local Inthar dishes, this is the most recommended place to eat. Its menu encompasses delicious Chinese and Burmese food. Located at Myan Ni Gone Village, Nha Phay Kyaung P.O.
- Golden Kite Restaurant – If you want to have some western treats like pasta and pancakes, this is the place to be. Golden Kite also serves fruit shakes, vegetarian tagliatelle and omelets. Majority of their staff can speak English so tourists flock to this restaurant. You can find this in Yone Gyi Road, Nampan Village.
- Miss Nyaungshwe Restaurant – This eatery serves Shan, Chinese, Inthar and western food. The restaurant also has good views in its outdoor patio. If you want some beer, you will find a nice selection of bottled fizz here. It’s located in Phaungdaw Seiq Road, Nyaung Shwe Township.
- Black Canyon Coffee – This coffee shop offers a Starbucks-style experience and air-conditioned dining for tourists.
You have three categories when it comes to dining in the city. Prices range from low to expensive, and you can choose your preference depending on your budget.
- Hla Myanmar – A simple but good restaurant for those on a shoestring budget. Located at 27 5th St, West Shwegonedine, Bahan Township, Hla Myanmar opens daily from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. You are likely to spend around K 2,500 for a decent meal here.
- Seven One One Restaurant – A well-lit and spotless restaurant in Anawratha Road that serves Indian-influenced Burmese dishes. Try their hot and sour sauce, which is very popular. K 1,000-1,500 per meal.
- Family Thai and Chinese Restaurant – Each meal costs around K1,000 to 1,500. This restaurant is located at the shopping mall beside Park Royal Hotel.
- Karaweik Buffet Restaurant – This restaurant offers a wide selection of Asian dishes. Each meal costs K20,000. You can find this eatery at Kan Pat St, Mingalar Taung Nyunt Township.
- Sabai Sabai- Dubbed as the greatest Thai restaurant in town, Sabai Sabai offers soups, starters and main dishes at K7,000 per person. It’s a clean and bright place that is highly favored by business people and expats.
- Acacia Tea Salon – Located at 52 Saya San Rd, Bahan Township, pastry lovers will definitely love this place. They serve tea and complete meals too.
- Signature Garden Restaurant – A fine dining restaurant that can be found at Kaba Aye Pagoda Rd and Kan Yeik Thar Rd, Kandawgyi Relaxation Zone, Bahan Township.
- Le Planteur Restaurant and Bar – Hailed as the best restaurants in Myanmar, this place specializes in fine French cuisine with Asian twist. Located at 22 Kaba Aye Pagoda Road.
There’s a lot of intriguing dining options in the country, so you will never have a difficult time making up your mind about where to have your next meal. Get your game face on and set on a gastronomic adventure that will make your stay in Myanmar truly memorable.