Yangon’s beautiful bodies of water
- Yangon is home to two beautiful gardens surrounding man-made lakes – Kandawgyi Lake and the Inya Lake – that provide a welcome respite to the hustle and bustle of city life and a major attraction for foreign visitors.
- The two artificial lakes were constructed by the British colonial administration in the 19th century to serve as recreational areas for the growing population of Yangon, which was then a major regional trading hub.
- First to be built was Inya Lake, construction of which in 1882. It was completed in 1883. It is considered Yangon’s largest lake with its surface spanning an estimated 388 hectares.
- According to folk stories what is now known as Inya Lake was once a cluster of lagoons, swamps and creeks before it was submerged to become a reservoir for the burgeoning population of the seat of the British colonial administration.
- The lake was formed by joining small hills that surrounded the creeks, swamps and lagoons, which formed during the monsoon season.
- ရန္ကုန္ဟာ လွပတဲ့ လူလုပ္ကန္ႏွစ္ခုျဖစ္တဲ့ ကန္ေတာ္ႀကီးႏွင့္ အင္းလ်ားလိတ္တို႔ ကို ပိုင္ဆိုင္ထားပါတယ္။ ၿမိဳ႕ျပမြန္းက်ပ္မႈရဲ႕ ထြက္ေပါက္တစ္ခုျဖစ္သလို ႏိုင္ငံျခားသားဧည့္သည္ေတြအတြက္လည္း အထူးဆြဲေဆာင္မႈ ျဖစ္ပါတယ္။
- ဒီကန္ ၂ ကန္ကို ၿဗိတိသွ် ကိုလိုနီအုပ္ခ်ဳပ္ေရးအဖဲြ႕ေတြက ရန္ကုန္ၿမိဳ႕ျပအတြက္ အပမ္းေျဖရန္အတြက္ ၁၉ ရာစုက တည္ေဆာက္ခဲ့တာပါ။